Saturday, January 16, 2021

Returning to the Rhythm: A 2021 Intention Post

Obviously, I got off track last year. But I think everyone did, so I don't feel too bad. I was a bit aggressive with my original ambitions and, when you do that, you're just asking to be derailed by something. I had a nice reprieve to fall back into old, comfortable habits in 2020 but it's time to return to the music with renewed intention and awareness. A few less tangents, more actual music-oriented content. Don't get me wrong - there will be rants. Just a lot less of them. I'm planning to resume the trek through the 100 Greatest Albums that I started last January, albeit without the time limit. I'm going to try to do about one album a week so we'll hopefully be through most of them by this time next year.

In between - because I get bored easily - I have some new ideas I'll be playing around with. First, as I mentioned, 2020 was a year with a ridiculous amount of albums released and I'm almost certain that trend is going to continue in 2021. As such, I'd like to actually try to listen to some of them and share my humble opinion. I also still have several music-related books I was planning to read, one of which I believe is a legit doctoral thesis because it is a massive 1000+ page tome. Netflix has a shit ton of new musician and music-oriented documentaries (some of which look super interesting) that I'd like to review. And YouTube has been recommending a lot of great artists from all over the globe whose music I'd like to feature. Speaking of artist spotlights, I've been actively trying to get to know the bands and musicians whose music I like but haven't necessarily listened to outside of what gets to the Top 40. And, finally, I'll be sharing some of my Spotify playlists and the thought process behind some of the staples I've picked for those lists. All in all, it should be a fun year of discovery and introspection.

So that's my promise for 2021. Reviews, rants, and only a dash of madness. There's probably still going to be too much Taylor Swift fangirling and, for that, I apologize in advance. Stay tuned.

Credit: Nick Seluk, The Awkward Yeti

No comments:

Post a Comment