Wednesday, December 13, 2023

"Soon You’ll Get Better" by Taylor Swift feat. The Chicks

It's that time of year again. I feel like this has become one of my personal holiday traditions, curated just for this blog. It's been a crazy year and I'll sum it up in a post eventually....but this is not that post. Nope. It's only my annual rant celebrating the 2023 Person of the Year. 

In the past, I've posted about my favorite T-Swift songs - of which there are myriad - most of which are sickly sweet love songs. But one of my favorite things about Swift's discography is that it is so diverse. She literally has a song for every type of heartbreak and another for every other emotion a person can feel. This year, I wanted to showcase a song that - to be honest - didn't make an impact on me until this year. Simply because I hadn't gone through the situation. I didn't understand....but now I do. I'm going to warn you - it's not a particularly happy song but it features some of the most vulnerable lyrics that Swift has released (in my opinion). This song is about Taylor's experience when her mom was diagnosed with cancer a second time around 2019. "Soon You'll Get Better" was released later that year on the "Lover" album. 

Holy orange bottles, each night I pray to you
Desperate people find faith, so now I pray to Jesus too
And I say to you

As you may have guessed, my mom was diagnosed with cancer this year. Thankfully, the radiation and chemotherapy appear to have worked and, as of right now, the doctors consider her "cancer-free," assuming nothing pops up on the scans over the next few months. However, there were moments this summer I found myself bawling my eyes out in the front seat of my car while listening to this song. Here's the thing - my mom isn't like Allison Swift. She's not a sweet midwestern mama who bakes cookies and calls to chat on the phone. My mom was born and raised in NYC (still has a ghost of a Queens accent) and complained the whole time (totally valid). I'm not sure she prayed, although I did (not to Jesus...but maybe a little to his mother, Mary). I spent a lot of time hanging out with her when I was done at the studio (we rented her a house near the treatment center, which was just down the street). Listening to what the doctor's were telling her and how inefficient the medical system is. Her biggest concerns before going into chemo/radiation was that she couldn't get manicures or go swimming while she was in treatment. She's kind of ridiculous for that. I talked her through losing her hair. Convinced her that it's okay to cut it short and buy a few nice wigs for right now. I know I've written about our complicated history but things are so much better now that her bipolar disorder is under control. And my kids love her so much and I'm happy we're creating good memories with her. Hopefully that lasts a while but I know my parents are getting older. This whole experience has thrown that into stark relief, so I'm trying to make more time for them. That was one of our big reasons for moving back to Arizona, after all.

I know delusion when I see it in the mirror
You like the nicer nurses, you make the best of a bad deal
I just pretend it isn't real

I'm not going to add much more about Taylor Swift. Y'all know she's amazing (or you should) and there's entire articles out there for you to read on that. I will say, though, that this is exactly why music exists. To express our experience and share it with others. They say music is a universal language and you can see that's true when people across the world vibe with someone's music, even if they don't fully understand the words. Take away the lyrics for "Soon You'll Get Better," you can still tell from the accompaniment that the artist is going through a difficult time. And as for the lyrics, I'm not the only one who ugly cries when they hear this song. It's comforting, to know you're not alone in going through a situation. Music brings people together.

"Soon You'll Get Better" Official Audio


No comments:

Post a Comment