Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bonfire Night!

Today happens to be May 1st and, as I'll have you know, it happens to be my favorite of all the pagan festivals.  It celebrates the return of the Sun and the rejuvenation of life all over the planet. Bealtaine (pronounced byol-tinnuh -- it's Gaelic and, weirdly enough, I can actually sort of see where they get that pronunciation) is an ancient fertility ritual that falls every year on May 1st or when the sun is at 15 degrees Taurus.  That last part only matters if you have any fucking clue how to read astrological tables--which I don't.  Oh, and this only applies in the Northern Hemisphere--if you live in Australia, you'd be trick-or-treating.  Traditionally--or, at least, according to the Internet--this Sabbat is celebrated by dancing naked around a fire and then running off and having sex.  Unfortunately, the  latter option is an impossibility for me (what with The Boyfriend being 310 miles away and all) and dancing naked around a bonfire by yourself is just plain sad.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good heathen dancing circle every once in a while -- just call me your friendly neighborhood heathen sun-worshipper!  Anyway, as a special treat, I've composed a short list of songs that make me want to dance like a wild woman, preferrably around a blazing fire, clothing optional mais bien sur.  In the meantime, I'll be a good girl and celebrate in rather tame fashion by planting an herb garden and some flowers and applying tons of sunblock because no one is happier than me that the good running weather is back!

5.  "Eyes Like Yours (Ojos Asi)" by Shakira -- I love Middle-Eastern influence in music and during the bridge of this song -- in both Spanish and English versions -- Shakira busts out in Arabic chants.  And Arabic chants are fuckin' great for Crazy-Girl-Dancing-Alone-In-Her-Room time.  I'm posting the English version but the Spanish version is easily searchable on Youtube.


4. "Shake It Out" by Florence + the Machine -- Aside from this being my cure for a crappy day, this song just wants to make you move and feel happy.  I challenge you to listen to this song and not find yourself flailing about wildly -- dare I say, in the throes of ecstasy --to the drumbeats and tambourine jingling.  And if you succeed, it is fairly possible that you don't have a soul.



 3. "Only We Can Keep You From Harm" by Young Buffalo -- Clearly, this list is strongly influenced by my enjoyment of tribal chants, in any form, from any culture.  This song strongly reminds me of Native American rituals.  Young Buffalo relies on singing-in-the-round on this track -- you remember that, right?  When one person starts singing "Row Your Boat" and then other singers join in at intervals, creating a harmonius wall of voices. The core of this song --briefly interrupted by a more melodic indie midsection-- is so simple but it's primativeness is universal -- it's amazing what beautiful music stomping your feet and clapping can make.


2.  "Sun Hands" by Local Natives -- I've become obsessed with this song, mostly because it's got a good running rhythm.  I like to refer to it as my Heathen-Sun-Worshipper anthem.  As you maybe able to tell, it's heavily influenced by the California indie scene -- in fact, when I listen to it, I imagine this particular fire celebration be held on a beach with the Pacific stretching out for miles.  I'm probably just spawning again --I was born in a CA fishing town and periodically have a strong longing to go back and float out to see. Even so, I'm digging this song -- which I snagged when Spinner had it as Mp3 of the Day -- and would love to hear the band live. According to some reviews, they are a band with "magical powers."  I'm down for that.


1. "Kings of the Wild Frontier" by Adam & The Ants -- I love this song so much, it's not even funny.  When I hear it, I always picture the Indian camp in Peter Pan and this song, by far and away, inspires that urge to dance around in a circle--and maybe even don some warpaint.  I often find myself -- unabashed at the political incorrectness of it all -- making those vocalizations young kids have, for some reason, associate with Native Americans. You know the ones-- when you hit your fingers against your mouth repeatedly, making the sound waves fluctuate. In fact, they do something of the sort during the song and, to my embarassment, I often join them --even when in the company of people. Sane people, who would never dance in public or howl at the moon.  Because they're grown ups, Damn It!  Favorite lyric -- And even when you're healthy/And your color screams delight/But down below those dandy clothes/You're just a shade too white.  Now we can discuss endlessly the cultural/societal/political implications of those words but it's a holiday, so we'll leave that for some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment