Saturday, April 14, 2012

Song du Jour: Envy Edition

Pattern Against User
by At The Drive In
Blurry-ass Picture Taken by Adam

I've been living vicariously through my twitter feed.  I'll admit it--it's nothing shameful.  Sure, it's probably a little pathetic to be following Rachael Ray's updates on South by Southwest and, more recently, Holly Madison's substance-less tweets about owl hats at Coachella but I've come to a place of acceptance that other people (specifically Anthony Bourdain--that bastard!) are living my life.  Some people--like Adam (you remember him)-- insist on rubbing it in my face.  How dare he post those blurry pictures on Facebook?!  And a recording complete with screaming fans and musical awesomeness to the extreme?! Does he consider that "mercy?!" The Monster--Damn him all to hell!!! Okay, I'm done--long story short, Adam went to go see At The Drive In perform in Marfa while I took calls from octogenarian idiots who happen to live in Coachella, CA.

For those of you unfamiliar with At The Drive In, they are a post-hardcore band that hails from El Paso, TX--which happens to be where The Boyfriend and Adam live.  Around 2000-ish, the band broke up and the members created a couple of other bands you may have heard of-- The Mars Volta and Sparta (both are pretty awesome but that's for another SDJ). Fun Fact:  According to Wikipedia (which is where I get most of the background info for SDJ), they are playing Coachella this year. And for the past couple of days -- essentially since I got the order from Adam -- I've been trying to decipher the meaning of the lyrics for "Pattern Against User."  Apparently, ATDI are big fans of the cryptic lyric.  You know when you watch a Japanese horror film and you're pretty sure it has a broader theme than just the obvious blood and guts but you're just too stupid to understand it?  Yeah, I kind of feel like that.  And, I am relieved to report, I'm not the only one--there was a pretty heated discussion on SongMeanings.com as to whether or not this song was about drugs and one brave commentator with alot of time on his hands actually went through the song, line by line, to prove his point that it is critical analysis of society.  I didn't have the time or patience to read through it but I'm sure his mother is very proud.  Instead, I'll let y'all have a go at it and I'll report back Adam's opinion on the matter when I get it (which I almost certainly will.) In the meantime, I'll be ruminating on how to get the hell out of Arizona now that I'll have a Part-Time schedule. Video after the cut. 








No comments:

Post a Comment