Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Song du Jour: Adam's Pick

Oblivion
by Grimes

Little Known Fact: 
Pink is actually her natural hair color

Today's song was requested by a good friend of mine, Adam. Actually, he requested it Friday and then called me out for being a slacker and not posting it yesterday.  Thus, I've finally gotten around to posting it today...and none too soon, because apparently my music cred is in danger of being revoked.  This is news to me since I didn't think I had any music cred (especially after that embarassing admission about enjoying "Love You Like a Love Song" ::hangs head in shame::) but if I do, I suppose I must put up some semblance of a fight to keep it.  Now, while my music cred is borderline questionable, Adam's is more solid than ice in the Arctic--which is good because that shit is melting, bitches.  But that's not the point....

The point is Grimes is pretty awesome, especially if you like synth pop--which I do, I do, I do-oo.  A little history:  Grimes (aka Claire Boucher) hails from Canada (not the part that spawned Bieber) has been on the scene since about 2010, releasing two albums that year--one of them being on cassette, which is pretty badass, even if that medium has been defunct since the early 90s. As of January 2012, she was officially signed with the label 4AD and her album, Visions, was relased in February.  There...now you're all caught up.  As for this song, "Oblivion," it fits very comfortably in that dream-like vein of indie electronica that you can get lost in, and personally, the vocals remind me of those songs that they play in Chinese buffets.  I don't mean that as a bad thing--I like the crisp soprano vocals of popular Asian songstresses and Grimes deserves mad props because, trust me, it is not easy to sing in that high range for long periods of time.  The tune somehow manages to be both chipper and zen-like while at the same time having lyrics that--I'll say it--are a bit dysthemic.  But maybe I'm projecting--my mother has been acting like a paranoid superbitch lately but that's a story for another day, mes amis.  Instead, enjoy some slow-motion high school antics while I wait for Adam to give me shit (just a warning--since he's made his blog stalking habits known, he'll probably be featured pretty prominantly in the future)--video after the jump.


No comments:

Post a Comment