Sunday, June 2, 2019

June Theme: Retro-Futurism for the Win!

As I said before, the last month has been rough on me. Not just because of all the shadow work, but also all sorts of chaos being unleashed in both my personal and professional life. But we're getting close to Summer now, which I've always considered to be "my season." As far as I'm considered, June and July are mine, because my Sun is in Cancer and my Rising is in Gemini. Also, I was born in California and all California girls are perpetually awaiting summertime. Since June is the start of my season - and Gemini placements have diverse and varied interests - I've decided to focus on one of my passions that I don't really take the opportunity to showcase. Retro-Futurism.

For the uninitiated, retro-futurism is the creative movement that places modern and futuristic elements within a past era. My preferred aesthetic is Dieselpunk, which takes place during the Great War Era. This falls between World War I and World War II, roughly from 1920 through 1945. However, because of this placement, it naturally blends with the earlier period that comprises Steampunk and the post-war era that becomes Atompunk. Although my primary focus this month will be on the elements that make up Dieselpunk, I may dip into other retro-futuristic aesthetics as the mood strikes me.

So what does that mean for June? Well, be prepared for a lot of electro-swing, big band, some chap hop, rockabilly, horrorbilly (basically all the "billys"), and a healthy dose of my favorite band for vintage re-imagining, Postmodern Jukebox. Additionally, I plan to explore different elements of retro-futurism and how they are used in their respective aesthetic. Naturally, this will include sharing some of my favorite retro-futurist artwork and resources, as well as other Dieselpunk things I've collected over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment