Friday, February 7, 2020

"Senorita" by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello

After workplace festivities today, I'm in the Valentine's Day mood. I can neither confirm nor deny what that mood entails. This song has been growing on me and it's been stuck in my head this week. Since last Friday, to be exact, when the harpist (yes, harpist...he was awesome!) played a lovely rendition at the Mexican restaurant my coworkers and I went to for happy hour. This is embarrassing for me to admit because - I'm just going to call out the uncomfortable truth - this song is horribly racist. The implication is that he calls her "senorita" as a playful tease because she's a Latina. The twist is she likes it....because it's him. Speaking from experience, if she didn't want to fuck him, he would be dangerously close getting decked in the nose. It is super annoying when guys use the only Spanish words they know to flirt with me. This is true for most Hispanic/Latina girls I've spoken to. Shawn Mendes gets a slight pass, because he's of Portugese decent (and super hot), but to be honest, Hispanic/Latino guys are the worst about this bullshit. I calls it like I sees it. I'll get off my soap box now. Just remember - unless you know a girl is really into you, she probably ain't going to put up with this nonsense.

Locked in the hotel
There's just some things that never change
You say we're just friends
But friends don't know the way you taste, la la la
'Cause you know it's been a long time coming
Don't you let me fall

Ooh, when your lips undress me
Hooked on your tongue
Ooh love, your kiss is deadly
Don't stop

There's nothing complicated about the meaning of this song. Boy sees girl for the first time and feels drawn to her. Girl reciprocates and they start a situationship, based on the lyrics. They want it to continue, but it can't because he's just in Miami for a trip. Probably Spring Break. That sounds very much like what's happening here - frat boy falls for a local girl over Spring Break. It's not sustainable but it's incredibly stimulating while it's going. This song was written to evoke thoughts of sex on the beach (the act, not the drink) and mysterious, dark-haired girls in bikinis. Because those are the best kind. (Or maybe I just have a dirty mind lately.) Obviously, it was tailor-made to be a Summer hit and it was pretty popular in late Summer 2019, but it's just now getting a lot of airplay on the local radio. For a big city, San Antonio is surprisingly slow with the music trends. Yes, that is as disappointing as it sounds. Anyway, you'll be surprised to know Camila Cabello and Shawn Mendes are still a couple. Everyone thought they were only pretending to date because they released this song together. Nope. Still going strong. But she's a Pisces and he's a Leo. Poor girl is going to get her heart broken. (Pisces is the only water sign whose symbol is not a shelled animal, representing ultimate emotional vulnerability. And Leos have a tendency to be arrogant jerks, especially when they're young.) The video is pretty hot, though, if you like boys in Havana shirts and leather jackets. But damn him if he doesn't remind me of somebody....

"Senorita" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment