Saturday, February 1, 2020

"The Stranger" by Billy Joel


Ranking: #70
Original Release Date: 29 September1977
Genre: Rock

"The Stranger" was Billy Joel's fifth studio album. Prior to this album, he had been a modestly popular artist but interest was on the decline and Columbia Records was threatening to drop him if this album didn't succeed. Fortunately for him, it was a success, staying at the top of the charts for six weeks and winning Record of the Year at the 1978 Grammy Awards. It's considered Joel's breakthrough album, making him a beloved staple of radio stations and piano bars everywhere. Billy Joel is another artist I grew up with and his music is near and dear to my heart. I even saw the musical "Movin' Out," which puts all of Joel's greatest hits to a story that's told through dance. It was amazing. But I'm also a nerd who is entranced by anything even closely resembling a "rock opera," so my opinion may be a bit biased.

Slow down, you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, then tell me
Why are you still so afraid?

The album was released in September 1977. It turns out to be an exciting year for science and technology. The space shuttle Enterprise went on its maiden flight atop a Boeing 747 and the United States launched both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2. The first personal computer, the Commodore PET, made its debut at the Consumer Electronics Show. 1977 would also be the year Apple Computer is incorporated. Of course, there was some weird stuff going on, too. The United States Senate began hearings on MKULTRA, a CIA project that involved experiments on human subjects to test the viability of mind control techniques. These experiments were illegal and unethical due to the undue psychological stress the participants were subjected to. The program also tested the viability of using mind-altering substances in the elicitation of confessions and the erasure of memories. And citizens of Dover, MA, reported sightings of the Dover Demon, a creature with tendril-like fingers and glowing eyes. As far as I've seen, the Demon was only seen for two days in April 1977 and then never again.

Politically, 1977 was somewhat interesting. During 1977, President Jimmy Carter pardoned Vietnam War draft evaders. Anita Bryant's anti-gay Save the Children campaign resulted in a key gay rights ordinance being repealed in Floriday, sparking public demonstrations against the Christian pop star. On the other side of the country, Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician, was elected to serve in San Francisco. Several countries signed a nuclear non-proliferation treaty, including the United States and the Soviet Union. But then there were several government shutdowns throughout Autumn 1977. You win some, you lose some, I guess. It was also a significant year in pop culture. Our last featured artist, Elvis - the King of Rock and Roll - died in his home, Graceland, at the age of 42. Led Zeppelin played their last concert in the United States. But, on the bright side, Fleetwood Mac released their album, "Rumours." And balance was restored in the music world. "Star Wars," "Annie Hall," "Saturday Night Fever," and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" were released in theatres.

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You'd better cool it off before you burn it out
You've got so much to do
And only so many hours in a day

Let's take a look at the chart for "The Stranger." A few things popped out at me in this chart. First, the Sun is in Libra and the Moon is in Taurus - both very good placements for artistic beauty. Coincidentally, this is almost exactly opposite his natal placements - Billy Joel has Sun in Taurus with Moon in Libra. The moon is exalted in Taurus, meaning that emotions are easily expressed, and at the time of the album release, the moon was conjunct with his natal Sun. Jupiter was in Cancer, the sign of its exaltation as well, indicating that luck was on his side for this release date. However, Venus was in Virgo, the sign of its Fall. Billy Joel has been rather unlucky in love (he's on his fourth wife) and the love songs on this album were written about his first wife. The story behind that isn't a pleasant one - he met his first wife, Elizabeth Weber Small, while she was married to his bandmate, Jon Small, and they started an affair. Joel was so conflicted about the relationship that he attempted suicide by drinking furniture polish. Ironically, it was Jon Small who ended up saving his life. Returning to the chart, Mars was in Cancer, also the sign of its Fall. Mars in Cancer is very passive aggressive energy - like being nice to a person's face but writing a song dragging all their bad qualities. For example, in "She's Always a Woman," he lists all the bad things he's heard about his wife from industry people - as his manager, Elizabeth Weber Small got rough treatment, and although this song was originally written as a tribute to her resilience, Joel eventually stopped singing it at concerts because he had lost his passion for it after their divorce. Finally, Mercury was in the sign of its rulership, Virgo, and it was also conjunct the Midheaven - which is directly opposite his natal Midheaven. Joel's natal mercury is in Gemini, mercury's second ruler. Mercury in Virgo or Gemini means words and ideas flow easily and with placements in both Libra and Taurus, they'll also tend to flow in a poetic or musical way.

But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want or you get old
You're gonna kick off before you even
Get halfway through
When will you realize, Vienna waits for you

I had another song from "The Stranger" picked out to be featured - "She's Always a Woman," which is how I learned so much about Joel's first wife - but then I heard "Vienna" and it struck a chord (pun intended) with me. It called to mind a coming of age montage, one where the protagonist finally decides it's time to grow up. In truth, I was remembering the song being used for just such a purpose in one of my favorite romantic comedies, "13 Going on 30." It was one of those brilliant romantic comedies that came out in the late 90s and early 2000s that they just don't make anymore and it makes me a little bit sad. Everything coming out now has to be gritty or sardonic or cynical to be successful. There's nothing sweet and earnest anymore and I feel like the world is a little worse for it. Anyway, in "13 Going on 30," Jenna Rink (played by the always stunning and surprisingly lovable Jennifer Garner) is a teenager who wishes that she could grow up without going through all the awful, teenager stuff. She gets her wish but, as she learns about who she's become to get her dream life, she realizes it's taken her drastically off the path to what she wants. Including a heartbreaking scene where her childhood best friend, who has always loved her and whom she falls in love with during the movie, chooses to go through with marrying another woman. She gets a second chance to make different choices, of course. It's kind of like "It's a Wonderful Life." Towards the end of the movie, when all of the horrible choices she's made start causing her dream life to crumble, she goes to someplace familiar and comfortable - her childhood home. Her parents walk in while she's essentially having an emotional breakdown. They hug her and tuck her in. And for one night in her crazy world, she can be okay.

I've been reading "Inner Bonding" by Dr. Margaret Paul. In it, she talks about how to re-parent our Inner Child and make more loving choices, for ourselves and for others. Which is exactly why I wanted to get a degree in psychology in the first place - to fix myself and maybe help other people eventually. But, as I read and work through the book, it brings up stuff. The patterns I always knew were there but avoided changing because they made things easier to cope with. "Vienna" sounds like Billy Joel talking to his Inner Child. The song is about a young person who is so eager to grow up and accomplish greatness that they aren't even enjoying being young. And when I stop to think about it, that's the thing that makes me so angry about my childhood - is that I didn't get to have one. I had to grow up so fast out of necessity. It's why I still feel like I'm just pretending to be a grown-up, because I was never really taught by anyone. All of my knowledge about being a responsible, well-adjusted adult is cobbled together from bits of movies and books - I never had a consistent example. And I felt like I had to take care of everybody - a depressed mother, two sisters, I even had to comfort my dad a few times. I got stuck in this caretaker mode, so much so that I will forgo my own needs for others. And they let me. Of course they let me. And all I want is someone to hold me and tell me everything is going to be okay if I slow down a bit. I'm going through some shit right now. I wish I could blame the astrology but the truth is it's been coming a long time. My heart really hurts this weekend. So I'm sorry if I disappear a little bit.

"Vienna" Video


Scene from "13 Going on 30"

No comments:

Post a Comment