Thursday, December 24, 2020

"It's All Been Done" by The Barenaked Ladies

I wanted to write about a song that was light and fun, because the song I picked out for the Solstice/Saturn-Jupiter conjunction was super heavy. Not that the rant was heavy, but the song had a dark vibe that fit the message. Weirdly enough, both songs have to do references to the cyclic spiraling nature of time and civilization. Nothing is new or particularly original anymore. It seems like we're in a loop, recycling the styles, problems, and attitudes of some other era before now. It's all a mess but we keep adding spices to the soup, hoping it will taste better. I am just as guilty of this as anybody.

I met you
Before the fall of Rome
And I begged you
To let me take you home
You were wrong
I was right
You said, goodbye
I said, good night
It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done, done before

I've been listening to "The Astrology Podcast" crew's analysis and predictions for 2021. They usually choose a phrase that sums up the period they are discussing. The phrase for 2021 is "Deeply Ambivalent" and - oh boy! - am I feeling that energy. I had my own phrase for it picked out before I even started listening - "circling the drain." What I mean by that is we're embarking on a totally new journey starting in the 2020s. However, we have a bunch of storylines that need to be closed out. There's this air of inevitability - we can see the ending but we're going to give it one last good push to see if we can keep it going. It's very "fuck it, let's see what happens" energy, which can be a good thing. There's a point where you stop overthinking everything and just live. When you do that, either something truly miraculous and amazing happens (Team Optimism!) or it ends in the disaster it was always going to be. But you don't feel as bad about the disaster because you've done everything you could.

When they say "Deeply Ambivalent," it has an extensive, observable meaning in the astrology of 2021. It is better than the astrology for 2020 - 2020 really did have an all "doom & gloom" signature and we weren't going to escape it. But 2021 has both crazy, chaotic transits and peaceful, happy ones, too. Unfortunately, a lot of the peaceful, happy ones are at the beginning of the year, so it might feel like we go into 2021 with a feeling of "hey, this isn't so bad" and then it slowly devolves into madness. Again, it's those fucking Saturn/Jupiter squares with Uranus. Then we end out the year with Mars opposing Uranus and a pair of eclipses (which often represent secrets and revelations) on the Gemini-Sagittarius axis. These configurations are meant to shake loose old paradigms, make us question the rules, and lean into our own wildness. So here we go again. One more time. With feeling!

If I put my fingers here
And if I say, I love you dear
And if I play the same three chords
Will you just yawn and say
It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before

"It's All Been Done" was featured on an episode of "Dawson's Creek" I watched recently. When I heard it, my first thought was, "Oh yeah....I really like this song..." It's probably my favorite Barenaked Ladies song but, to be honest, I only know the few tunes that hit mainstream radio in the U.S. Otherwise, I know nothing of their discography. This song, in particular, was also the title sequence song for the short-lived animated series, "Baby Blues," an adaptation of one of my favorite comic strips from the Sunday Funny Pages. 

There is some debate among fans about what the song is about. The most metaphorical folks say it describes the stages of an on-again-off-again relationship that has gotten stale. Boring! A little more interesting, but maybe a bit too literal, is that it's about two people who keep meeting up in every life time but never get together. Depressing! Then - and this is the theory that gets my creative juices flowing - there is a contingent of fans who believe it's about a pair of Immortals/Vampires, who keep meeting up throughout time. Sometimes, they meet up and stay together for a while and when they get bored, they go their separate ways until the next century. I like that idea and it has me percolating inspiration for a story about an Immortal Renaissance courtesan who is living in modern day Las Vegas as a showgirl. I don't have a plot yet. Is it a romance? Is it a tale of personal growth and triumph? Who knows?! But it's on the back burner while I finish up my current works in progress. I hate being an idea person, sometimes. It's too much! I really should pull a Nick Miller and start an idea book, so when I get these half-baked (yet divinely inspired) snippets, I have a home (half-way house) to put them in. Regardless, this song - in my professional opinion as expert yarn spinner and vibe feeler - adequately captures the energy I've been sensing. It has that fatalistic quality to it - the things we want will come back around eventually. Maybe in a different form, maybe new and improved, but the wheel is always turning. It's never the end, only a new beginning.

"It's All Been Done" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment