Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thank you

I've been thinking lately about why I write, specifically why I write this blog. Aside from the obvious - I really love music and like sharing my recommendations with people - I find that the thing I love most about music is the integral part that it plays in the human story. How its addition to the background can make an event more dramatic, more tragic, more romantic....and how its absence can be equally powerful. How the right song can change the emotional tenor of your whole day and how a certain lyric can strike a chord when you least expect it.

This particular month, I've been examining music's place in the narratives that play out on the big and little screens. Before the first "talkie" was released, music was essential in order to set the scene in those first amazing movies. When done right, music tells a snippet of a story that reminds a person of their own human experience. Which brings me back to why I write - I have a story to tell. Several stories in fact, many of which are inspired by the songs I've shared so far. I forgot that for awhile, forgot that drive to create because it felt like my inspiration and passion had all dried up. But I've remembered myself and my story and have been pushing through those blocks. And I know not many people read this blog but I am grateful for those who do. The 75 French people who seem to always check this site at the same time (perhaps it's just a French botnet, but whatever), the handful of Russians, Swedes and Germans, and then there's a few of you who just show up as "unknown region," which I like to pretend are the folks on International Space Station. Wherever and whoever you are, just know that I'm grateful for you and I hope that my rants, ramblings, and stray thoughts are entertaining and - perhaps - enlightening and relevant in your own lives.

Today, I'm sharing the video for "Fascination" by Red Sun Rising. For their video, they simply put the song over clips from the iconic film "Le Voyage Dans la Lune" by George Melies. This film is considered one of the greatest films of all time due to the influence that it had on the evolution of the art. I believe Netflix has the film in its entirety for you to view, if you're interested. In particular, comparing the original music to the film with modern rock as the backdrop does change how you perceive the story. "Fascination" makes the story seem more sinister and existentialist, versus being a carefree story about traveling to the moon.

Enjoy! And thanks for reading!

"Fascination" Video 

No comments:

Post a Comment