Monday, June 18, 2018

"EP 1" by Black Canary

Oh. My. Gawd. Did y'all know that DC Comics released an album as a companion piece to the "Black Canary Vol 1: Kicking and Screaming" graphic novel? I fucking love when pop culture franchises do this! When "Josie & the Pussycats" came out in theaters, I had that soundtrack on repeat. And the tapes that came with the Jem dolls (to my recollection, we only ever had the "Asia" doll) kept me going through a tremulous childhood. Yes, I love fake bands, because usually the music is surprisingly good. Black Canary's "EP 1" is no exception. The sound is super darkwave and 80s goth, which is where I live. And the girl who is singing as Black Canary has a great voice. I dig it. Kind of makes me want to by the graphic novel. Shut up and take my money!

New Earth Black Canary (DC Comics)
As you can see, I'm bringing back Discover Monday, because my googling brings me to some pretty interesting places. Don't ask me how I found it (hint: I may have been researching the Black Canary symbol for....body modification reasons....), all you need to know is that it's awesome. But it's got me wondering why I'm drawn to Black Canary. Obviously, I like her superhero outfits. They are always unapologetically sexy. Again, here I go solidifying my "bad feminist" credentials, but I don't think there's anything wrong with dressing sexy or feminine, and being comfortable with that. If a girl wants to wear fishnets and thigh high boots, who am I to tell her she shouldn't? I'm also kind of in love with the mythology and symbolism of Black Canary, as gleaned from the comics and the TV interpretations on CW's "Arrow," which is one of my current favorite shows (even though I'm so far behind).

My Current Desktop Image (DC Bombshells by Ant Lucia)
Canaries are a symbol of joy and freedom. When they're happy, they can sing all day, spreading that happiness as they go along. I'm definitely the same way. That's how you know I'm happy, in fact - I can't stop singing. Or smiling. It's embarrassing because I look like a damn fool most of the time but - you know what - who cares? I've so rarely felt happy in my life, it's been so rife with turmoil. Still is but that's just the chaotic nature of being alive. Sometimes you have to go with it. And I make my own path. As does Black Canary. In "Arrow," Sara Lance (my favorite of the "Arrow" Canaries) gets her League of Assassins name - Ta-er al-Sahfer, which is roughly translated to "canary" in Arabic - because of the joy she brought to Nanda Parbat. When Nyssa brings her to the League, R'as al-Ghul tries to frighten her...and Sara just laughs. The sound is so pure, it just rings through that dark place. What a beautiful idea. That's the type of person I hope to be someday - someone who just brings lightness where it's needed. I could use a little bit of that. Side note: There may be a Black Canary cosplay in my future...one day. Gotta get a superhero body, first.

DC Comics actually released two short albums for Black Canary, "EP 1" and "EP 2" (so creative!) and they are both available for sale ($3.50/each) on bandcamp, if you're interested in buying. If not, you can still listen to the entire albums for free at the site. Dropping the links here:
EP 1 | https://blackcanary.bandcamp.com/album/ep-1
EP 2 | https://blackcanary.bandcamp.com/album/ep2
"Black Canary Vol 1: Kicking and Screaming" graphic novel | https://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/black-canary-vol-1-kicking-and-screaming

Found a sound video with my favorite song on "EP 1." Enjoy!

"Old World" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment