Tuesday, June 12, 2018

"There She Goes" by Sixpence None the Richer

Ever since I searched for that LFO video, YouTube thinks I must be nostalgic for the 90s (which I am....always). And for some reason in particular, it feels like I should be listening to Sixpence None the Richer, which I don't honestly hear too often. I like them, I just didn't like them enough to buy an entire album. Of course, every girl loves "Kiss Me." In fact, that could've been the Song du Jour....but I didn't feel like going back to prom today.

Instead, I've chosen the only other song Sixpence is known for, which is their cover of "There She Goes." This song was originally written by UK punk band, The La's. According to Wikipedia, this song is either about "heroin or just unrequited love." Just unrequited love?! Like it's some trivial thing, not that some guy is dying inside over a girl? Which, I would like to say, I'm actually really happy that they didn't change the lyrics just because Leigh Nash was singing it. Because girls can have unrequited crushes on other girls, too. Also looking at Wikipedia, apparently Sixpence None the Richer is from New Braunfels, TX, which isn't too far from here. That's my surprising fact for the day.

I really like the video....mostly because Adam Goldberg is in it (I have a thing for scruffy Jewish-looking guys....I don't know what the politically correct way to say that is). I don't know why, but I always thought his psycho roommate character on "Friends" - Eddie Menuek - was kinda hot, in a slightly scary way. It's not even that interesting a video - it's just Goldberg chasing after some beautiful mystery girl while Leigh sings about it and does that sweet, seductive thing with her eyes. It has a good color palette - mostly gray tones so that Leigh's red lipstick and blue eyes really stand out. You know...now that I'm listening to the lyrics....maybe it is about heroin addiction? "There she goes / There she goes again / And I just can't contain / This feeling that remains...." When I was younger, I thought that last lyric was " I just can't contain / This feeling that we made," which explains why I would think it was a love song, not just another drug-addled song of longing and pain. Which it absolutely is.

Including both versions of the song, for your musical education. The Sixpence version is pretty true to the original, it just sounds different (purer? more ethereal?) with a female voice.

Sixpence None the Richer Version


The La's Version


No comments:

Post a Comment