Saturday, June 16, 2018

"I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)" by Auli'i Cravalho and Rachel House

::WARNING:: I am going to get kind of super-ranty because "Moana" inspires all the fucking feels. I've seen it probably a hundred times and the story still brings tears to my eyes. Luckily, my son loves the movie as much as I do. Also, there will be spoilers if you haven't seen it. ::END WARNING::

I'm not sure if y'all know much about the structure of musicals. I doubt it....no one loves musicals as much as I do. In fact, it's a point of contention in our house because The Husband fucking hates musicals. (But why?) Here's where the rant starts. There is always a theme (sometimes two or more, if there are multiple main characters, as in "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables"), which is the underlying melody that is carried throughout the other songs and holds the score together. Some songs may differ - usually, there is a ballad and/or a villain song that, although it still uses similar musical elements, is much more powerful and the influence of the theme is less noticeable - but overall, you'll notice that the songs complement each other. This is by design. In "Moana," the theme is "How Far I'll Go," which always triggers a feeling of intense hope within me. And yes, I prefer the Auli'i Cravalho version in the movie as opposed to that crap knockoff Alessia Cara sings in the credits.

The theme shows up early in the movie, because it is usually the main character's big song. For example, "Think of Me" is Christine Daae's debut in "The Phantom of the Opera." This is true in "Moana" as well - I believe "How Far I'll Go" shows up within the first 30 minutes, if not sooner. However, there is always a point in a musical when the theme is repeated, almost note-for-note. Generally, it will have different lyrics and it might even be played in a minor key, to make it seem darker and more sad. As you may have guessed, there is a reason for this. The reprisal usually appears when all hope seems to be lost, when the main character is about to give up. This song serves as an auditory signal that the character is having (or about to have) an epiphany. They've discovered some hidden truth - sometimes it's about their quest, but usually it's a revelation about who they are - and they are ready and willing to continue the journey. To fight for their end goal. As such, reprisals tend to be pretty inspiring, like "I Am Moana."

Of course, "I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)" inspires an even more dramatic emotional response in me than "How Far I'll Go." At this point in the movie, Moana - our heroine, if you couldn't tell - has just been abandoned by Maui and she's telling the Ocean (which is a real character in the movie) that's she's not built for her quest. She's not strong enough and that the Ocean should choose someone else - even though her island is pretty much out of time and is about to be swallowed by the darkness currently enveloping the world. But then her grandmother - the wise "village crazy lady," as she prefers to be called (a personal goal of mine...my master plan is to be the crazy old woman who lives in a cottage at the edge of a forest by the sea) and a spirit at this point, because she died right as Moana leaves on her quest - shows up and tells her that, no matter what happens, she is who she is. That's the revelation. Everything that we've learned about Moana up to this point - the pull she feels from the ocean, the wanderlust, her drive to please her family and ancestors - all of that makes her who she is and that's what makes her strong. The final lyric is her saying, point blank, no hesitation - "I Am Moana!" A battle cry, if I ever fucking heard one. Holy Self-actualization, Batman! Now if only we can all learn that lesson. I think I figured it out a while ago. My ancestors were treasure hunters and adventurers and, thus, that is who I am, too. I've tried to embrace that. It's hard sometimes....life gets in the way, doubt gets in the way. But I'm trying to be more of who I am, and that's a start. I'm including the lyrics to the final verse, because that's when I really get choked up.


Who am I?

I am the girl who loves my island
I'm the girl who loves the sea
It calls me
I am the daughter of the village chief
We are descended from voyagers
Who found their way across the world
They call me
I've delivered us to where we are
I have journeyed farther
I am everything I've learned and more
Still it calls me
And the call isn't out there at all, it's inside me
It's like the tide; always falling and rising
I will carry you here in my heart, you'll remind me
That come what may
I know the way
I am Moana!


I love "Moana" for all sorts of reasons. The animators did so much research on Polynesian culture and mythology and it shines. Every part of the story is beautiful, from Moana's journey to the legend of Maui and the return of Te Fiti's heart. In fact, I would argue that Te Fiti's revitalization is one of the greatest transformations in film history. Go ahead....Fight me. Also, it should be known that I have often imagined that - if I became magical, for some reason - making flowers pop up wherever I walked would be one of my "powers." I know that's probably a pretty useless gift, but I still think that would be amazing. Yeah, my brain goes weird places.

Anyway, I've been playing with the idea of making a collage for my desk at work - I know....so craftsy! - centered around the following quote: "Well-behaved women rarely make history." It would just be a collection of pictures of women - fictional and real - whom I admire. Moana would be featured, of course. Black Canary, who is my favorite superhero of all time - mostly because the original BC dressed like a punk street walker and could take down bad guys just by screaming. Agent Peggy Carter, my Marvel spirit/style/career guide. Scarlet Witch, who has experienced so much pain but still loves with her whole heart. Josephine "Josie" Marcus, of Tombstone fame. Stevie Nicks, obviously. I should get working on that....it sounds awesome.

Sorry for the lengthy rant but I did try to intersperse some knowledge so that it wasn't all completely pointless rambling. Video below.

"I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors)" Video




No comments:

Post a Comment