Thursday, June 7, 2018

"Girl on TV" by LFO

Welcome to Song du Jour, Throwback Thursday Edition! And, Baby Girl, you're in for a treat. Why am I talking like this? Because we're doing this 90s style with arguably the hottest (attractiveness-wise, not popularity-wise) boy band from back in the day. Let's face it - The Backstreet Boys were baby-faced and boring. And N'Sync...well, there was Justin and then there was the rest of them. And I don't find Justin Timberlake particularly attractive....

Did you know that LFO stands for Lyte Funkie Ones? Somehow, that escaped my pre-teen brain, because I didn't. Kind of glad I didn't know that. As far as band names go, that one kind of sucks so it was probably a good thing everyone remembers them as LFO. LFO was almost a one hit wonder, with "Summer Girls." You remember how it goes...."I like girls that/Wear Abercrombie & Fitch/I'd take her if I had one wish/But she's been gone since that summer/Since that summer." Yes sir, they were masters of the instantly-dated-pop-culture reference. In fact, I'm pretty sure they were entirely responsible for all of A&F's profits during Summer 1999 (none of which came from me....I've always been more of a Hot Topic person). "Girl on TV" is no different....as you recall, there is a rap break that refers to "Scooby snacks" and obviously, the girl in the green dress is like Scarlett O'Hara, the most famously beautiful green-dress-aficionado in all of film history. And let's not forget the ultimate 90s queen - Jennifer Love Hewitt - who stars in the video! Isn't she great folks? No, seriously....Have you seen "The Client List?" Okay, to be fair, I only have a vague idea what it's about but I'm intrigued....

As I've said before, I'm a sucker for a love story, even cheesy ones. Fuck....especially cheesy ones, like the one described in "Girl on TV." So, Lover Boy seems pretty sincere but he keeps referring to her as the "girl on TV," as if that's her only identity. Does she have a name? Cassidy? Roma? Liz? No, you'll never know, because he's already put her on a pedestal. Comparing her to Bette Davis and shit, saying she's from the City of Angels (again, another pop culture reference). Yes, I know that's a nickname for Los Angeles - Have you ever been to LA? It's not that great. But still....the fact that he wants to be there when she's "down and out" is sweet. And calling her up just to make her laugh is something every girl wants. True story, straight from the horse's mouth. More cheesy 90s goodness can be found in the video below.




No comments:

Post a Comment