Saturday, August 17, 2019

"Believer" by Imagine Dragons

There's this thing in witchcraft that we call The Great Work (or, for those of you schooled in the studies of Hermeticism and alchemy, the Magnum Opus). Spoiler alert: The Great Work is you. It's your life. In Thelema, the magical system developed by Aleister Crowley, the Great Work is the spiritual practices leading to the mystical union of the Self and All. Now, whether or not you follow Mr. Crowley, there is something empowering in knowing that you are your own masterpiece. That's the actual magic of alchemy. Through putting all your energy into accomplishing a goal (such as creating the Philosopher's Stone), the process transforms you, metaphorically turning your soul from lead into gold.

I've been delving deep into Theosophy lately, specifically the lessons of the spiritual path and its similarities to The Hero's Journey. When you see all the threads for what they are, it's hard not to see all the inevitable connections. On the spiritual path, the first initiation is the choice to take the spiritual path. The choice to embody who you are and your destiny. Not unlike what the Hero has to go through, when s/he understands that not going on the journey/quest/mission that has presented itself will leave them unsatisfied. It's not that the life they would have if they don't choose to go on the journey will be unhappy, but it will be safe and unremarkable. And they'll always be left wondering about the "what ifs." In "Believer," the singer stands at the precipice of this choice. He is thinking over his life and he realizes that everything that has happened to him - both good and bad - has led him to this place. He's grateful for all of it. And he realizes he has control over what happens next. Theosophy speaks of many other initiations, all very interesting in their own right, but it's this first one that matters the most. Theoretically, the majority of people don't face this initiation. Maybe they get close but then back away at the last second. Usually out of fear of what other people will think.

First things first
I'ma say all the words inside my head
I'm fired up and tired of the way that things have been, oh ooh
The way that things have been, oh ooh
Second thing second
Don't you tell me what you think that I can be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea, oh ooh
The master of my sea, oh ooh

Which brings me to the subject of Saturn Returns. Saturn is the ruler of discipline, duty, and - yes, my friends - destiny. He forces us to face the essentials of life, the obligations to our community that we have when we are born, and the responsibilities we must accept if we are to continue existing. Saturn Returns have a way of activating parts of our natal chart that have thus far remained dormant. It takes Saturn to go through all 12 signs of the Zodiac approximately 29.5 years and it usually has an influence for about 3 years. For simplicity's sake, let's just say that most people are under the influence of their Saturn Return from when they turn 28 to until the end of age 30. Coincidentally, the average age for divorce is 30. Supposedly, most people turn to whoever they're with and they have one of two reactions: "Yay! I get to spend the rest of my life with this person." or "Oh. My. God. I'm going to spending the rest of my life with this person." Alternatively, Saturn Returns also have a habit of bringing in love from an unexpected source, usually when you're not looking for it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - Saturn also has a habit of helping people realize what they really want in life. It's the much needed kick-in-the-pants that gets them pointed in the right direction, if they weren't already going that way.

I was thinking about the 3 years that encapsulated my Saturn Return. It's funny - I distinctly remember when I turned 28, I vowed that it was going to be the best year of my life and I wrote down a plan to make that happen in my journal. About a month after writing all those good intentions, I found out I was pregnant. Saturn strikes again...but that's okay, because I've always wanted kids. And maternity leave was like having a built-in writing vacation because, instead of sleeping when the baby slept, I decided to use that time to write (in hindsight, this probably wasn't the best idea....I was always so exhausted). In those 3 years, I had a baby, I got married, I bought a house, received a series of promotions that have gotten me to where my career is today, wrote more than ever, and a few other less pleasant things that I'd rather not mention (but, nonetheless, had a profound impact on me). In spite of some missteps (or perhaps because of them), I feel like I became more myself, which is what is supposed to happen during a Saturn Return. You're supposed to be set on the path you're meant to follow. Not everyone embraces it, though. Sometimes, the opportunity to leave a situation that doesn't reflect your core self presents itself and you don't take it out of some misguided belief of what you should do, rather than what you really want for yourself. Luckily, most people will have another Saturn Return but resisting that first one may cause you to stay in an unhappy situation for longer than you otherwise would have out of fear of facing the unknown. It's important to remember one key piece of guidance when facing a Saturn Return (or any Return or Retrograde, for that matter): Chaos is another name for Opportunity. Embrace the chaos. Saturn knows better than most that, in order to put thing right, you might have to tear everything apart first. Stepping back and seeing the method in the madness is what will ultimately make you a Believer.

"Believer" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment