Sunday, January 8, 2012

Song du Nuit: Welcome Back!

We Are Young
by Fun

Ho Hum....So Bored...


I actually heard this song over a month ago and I'm just now getting around to sharing it with you.  I love the chorus: Tonight/We are Young/So I'll set the world on fire/We can burn brighter.  Just an amazing example of modern indie pop that makes you feel good and has great lyrics that hearken back to the days when songwriting was a real art and not just something you did on Saturdays to make a paycheck. I do hear an 80s influence, perhaps a pinch reminiscent of Billy Joel and Keane, but then again, I just write about music so maybe it's just me.  The band also utilizes an wide array of instruments, which adds another level to complexity--it's not just a keyboard and a synth, which I feel has been an unavoidable trend for pop music in the 2000s.  A little more information on the band-it is a super band, meaning that it's members are also known for other works.  Fun is:  Nate Ruess, formerly of The Format; Andrew Dost, of Anathallo; and Jack Antonoff of Steel Train.  On tour, the usually call in some other well-known musician friends to beef up their sound, as well.  They most recently toured with Janelle Monae's The Campus Consciousness Tour.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  I have to admit, it's one of those songs that gives me that "Hell yeah, rock on" feeling. 






1 comment:

  1. Wow that is an awesome song - I agree with the hell yeah feeling and I now have a crush on that lead singer. Thanks for sharing the music.

    ReplyDelete