Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Song du Nuit: Jan 31st, 2012

Somebody That I Used to Know
Gotye feat. Kimbra

G'day Mate!
Another chill song for today.  I heard this one on--you guessed it--98.7 on the way back from taking Dad to the airport.  It's got this cool, bouncy, slow beat that -- dare I say it -- makes me imagine someplace exotic, vaguely Caribbean.  That could just be the xylophone, though.  At least, I think it's a xylophone.  Update:  It was NOT a xylophone.  The sound you hear is a marimba, a xylophone type instrument with a lower tonal range whose ancestor was invented by the Mayans.  Special thanks to my friend, Adam, for pointing that out. The tone of the lyrics wavers somewhere between indifference toward that "somebody I used to know" and a passionate, almost suppressed rage, especially when Kimbra comes in, bringing in some soulful warmth that compliments Gotye's chillness.  Anyway, Gotye--pronounced like Gaultier....that probably didn't help much--is a Belgian-Australian singer-songwriter.  That's an interesting mix, isn't it?  In my head, I'm picturing a cross between Hercule Poirot and Crocodile Dundee, which--I must admit-- sounds pretty awesome.  Gotye has been around since 2002 but he used be the drummer in a garage band called Downstares...naturally, I'm finding all this out today and through the use of Wikipedia.  Thus is the curse of a small town urchin.  The video is intriguing--yes it involves nudity.  It's done artfully though, where Gotye is gradually being painted into a contemporary piece and for Kimbra's entrance, she pops out of the background like she's been there the whole time.  Groovy man.   Check it out after the jump. 




No comments:

Post a Comment