Wednesday, May 30, 2018

"Raise Hell" by Dorothy

I've been getting really tired of hearing "Bang, Bang" and "Shake It Off" everyday. Don't get me wrong, I like "Bang, Bang" as much as the next girl but something had to give so I went trawling through YouTube to get this kid hooked on something that wasn't pop. We've been mixing in a little Shinedown and Theory of a Dead Man in every day, which is how Dorothy popped up in the recommended section. That's how I found my anthem for this week.

First off, I gotta tell you - the vocalist Dorothy Martin is fuckin' Beautiful. She's like if Monica Bellucci had tattoos and dressed all rockabilly. In other words, she looks exactly how I wished I looked. In the "Raise Hell" video, she walks into Thanksgiving dinner in a little black dress, blood red lipstick, and burgundy Doc Marten's (not unlike the ones I have gathering dust in the back of my closet). In the video for "Dark Nights," she's wearing a "Creep Show" tank and the video is literally about her mission to get more Nutella from the store. In fact, it ends with like a minute of her just eating a Nutella sandwich....which gets boring. I only watched the ending one time before I got tired of that nonsense but still....She's pretty awesome.

Back to "Raise Hell." It's not that complicated. Somebody's gotta raise a little hell. And the implication is that it should be me (or you....or whoever the listener is). I think the message is timely. Yesterday was the Flower Moon, which is symbolic of rebirth and new beginnings. Taking risks. Turning over some trees, etc. In short, raising a little hell, because something needs to shake us up every so often to keep us motivated to go after what we want. Just for shits and giggles, I checked by horoscope on Broadly to see what the full moon brought. It wasn't anything interesting - Broadly's astrologers must suck at their job. I'm ranting again, which means I should probably just shut up and post the video. As always, see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment