Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Song du Nuit: "Deathwish" by Red Sun Rising


I'm struck by another wave of insomnia so I've decided to do a little late night writing on my son's favorite song to sing to (well, it was until we got rid of Sirius XM). My son, who just turned two, is already way cooler than I'll ever be. This kid was humming to Metallica and falling asleep to Korn before he even understood what music was. In fact, we were listening to today's song a couple days ago and he began singing. Of course, he doesn't exactly know the lyrics - it's mostly babble, but at least it's babble to a melody. I'm kind of concerned he's going to turn into a drummer but who am I to criticize his questionable life choices.

Anyway, Red Sun Rising is quickly becoming my new favorite rock band (among several favorites - you know I have many), because pretty much every new song I hear has been effin' awesome. The lead singer has a really beautiful voice, similar to how Chester Bennington had a beautiful voice, when he wasn't screaming. I discovered them when they did a cover of Alanis Morrisette's "Uninvited" for Sirius XM, which deserves its own listen. It's better than the original - and that's hard for me to say as a hardcore Alanis fan. Check it out on your own time, that's all I'm gonna say. They also have reasonably cool videos - for "Fascination," they basically ripped parts of Georges Melies "Le Voyage dans la Lune" and set it to their song. Kind of lazy, kind of amazing.

So "Deathwish"....okay, yes, kind of grim song title but I swear it's very upbeat. Are the lyrics dark? Perhaps a little nihilistic? Sure, but that's how I like it. Goth but annoyingly catchy. Cheerleader goth, if you will. Yes, that's a thing - look it up. The video is kind of messed up. Like "I probably shouldn't let my son watch this" messed up, but he's usually playing with his cars when we're YouTube surfing, so I don't think he's paying attention anyway. Besides, all his favorite movies are about genocide anyway (*cough*Trolls*cough*). I should really stop overthinking children's films....that would be easier if I could sleep. Okay, I'm done with my rant. Video below.



No comments:

Post a Comment