Saturday, May 26, 2018

Song du Jour: "Beelzeboss" by Tenacious D

If you met me, you probably wouldn't peg me as the type of person who listens to Tenacious D. But you'd be wrong. I happen to love Tenacious D...and I also actually enjoyed watching "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny." Sure, it has its ridiculous moments but it's a pretty decent story and the soundtrack is pretty great. I was picking my son up from the daycare yesterday when "Beelzeboss" came on and I remembered that I know all the fucking words to this song. Probably because it's pretty vulgar and that's the best kind of music to blast at a red light. If you didn't know, "Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny" is a musical where Tenacious D [i.e., Kage (Kyle Gass) and Jables (Jack Black)] go on this epic journey to find this pick that will make whoever so uses it a rock god. A noble quest, in my opinion. When they finally find it, they start fighting over who gets to use it first. During the argument, the pick ends up broken and on the floor, which is how Satan gets it and uses to become whole again. Thus begins "Beelzeboss," or the best song in the whole fucking movie.

Obviously, Satan being Satan, he's going to take Kage and Jables back to hell, so they challenge him to a rock-off to spare their lives, which he cannot refuse because "rules." Now, I forgot to mention this, but Dave Grohl - Dave fucking Grohl! - is Satan. They're doomed....so doomed. It's pretty obvious in the song that they do not win the rock-off. Ultimately, they have to break off a piece of Satan and like curse him or something....long story short, they get to live. And Satan pays their rent. Because "rules."

Ta da! Now, you probably know more about the plot of "The Pick of Destiny" than you ever wanted to know! You'll thank me later, I know it. It's a pretty fun movie once you get past the awesomely bad-ness of it all but I'll let you judge for yourself. The video below is just a fan video made with Legos....because, you know, copyright law.


No comments:

Post a Comment