Wednesday, September 19, 2018

"As the World Falls Down" by David Bowie (Girl in a Coma cover)

I love this cover of "As the World Falls Down." I already loved the original but Nina Garcia's voice makes it more beautiful somehow. Girl in a Coma (GiaC) have given it a harder, rock edge, too, that makes it seem almost more heavy-hearted. I've been feeling that way lately...just a little bit hollow, so I've been trying to do more things that make me happy. Like watching Meg Ryan movies and dancing with my son to my favorite songs. This - in case you're wondering - is one of my favorite songs. From one of my favorite movies. Written and sung by one of my favorite artists.

David Bowie was my first celebrity crush. Before Jonathan Taylor Thomas, before Elijah Wood, before Leo...there was Jareth, the Goblin King. True story - after I had my son, I did say the words. "I wish the Goblin King would take you away right now." Not because I wanted him to go away but just to see what would happen. To my chagrin, David Bowie did NOT, in fact, show up. Kind of disappointing but I'm over it. I told you - my imagination gets away from me sometimes. Personally, had I been Sarah in "Labyrinth," I probably would've stayed in that bubble dancing with David Bowie for eternity. It wouldn't have been as good a story, but I'd still be having a great time.

As the pain sweeps through,
Makes no sense for you
Every thrill is gone
Wasn't too much fun at all,
But I'll be there for you
As the world falls down

I consider "Labyrinth" one of the great fairy tales written in the modern era. It's not based on a book or an existing story - it's a wholly original creation of the late genius, Jim Henson. But it follows all the tropes. Beautiful girl, unhappy with life, relies on fantasy to get through tough times. Frustrated with her circumstances, she offers her baby brother up to the Goblin King and, to her surprise, the Goblin King obliges. Realizing she's made a terrible, selfish, irresponsible mistake, she travels into a fantastical world to save the baby. Along the way, she meets a diverse cast of characters and goes on wild adventures. In the end, she barely saves her baby brother in time and learns an important lesson about being happy with the life she has. And all this happens to the sounds of one of the best soundtracks ever created. I would say this soundtrack shaped a lot of my musical tastes - "Underground" is patently wonderful and uplifting. And if you don't find yourself dancing to "Magic Dance," you most definitely don't have a soul.

I'm including the GiaC version and the original, for comparison. The original is considerably longer. The GiaC version cuts out a lot of the fluffy repetition at the end of the original, which - you'll be surprised to know - I don't mind. I actually prefer it. GiaC has an entire album of covers, called "Adventures in Coverland," which I think is amazing and would highly recommend. Besides "As the World Falls Down," my favorites from the album are "As My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Walkin' After Midnight," the latter of which is my go-to song for soothing my little boy.

Girl in a Coma Version



David Bowie Version

No comments:

Post a Comment