Friday, September 28, 2018

"Owl and Wolf" by The SIGIT

Well, it's finally Friday. It was a rough Friday and I am good and drunk. As all great writers were, for some reason or another. I think it's easier to deal with the pain that way. I hardly feel anything right now. But I do feel sad. And lonely. And a little broken. But I've always been a little broken, so what else is new? I think the saying goes, "Beer before liquor, never been sicker...but gin before night, sailor's delight." Or something. If I wake up and it looks like I was bashing my head against the keyboard, I'll know which one it was.

I sought out this song, because I loved the story. I saw it on an episode of "Charmed," one of the few episodes I watched and remembered really well, because it's one of those tragic love stories I love so much. I think the original tale has a Native American origin and sometimes the animal roles are reversed but I'll try to re-tell it as best I can.

Once upon a time, there was a pair of lovers who was cursed by an evil sorcerer. The woman was very beautiful and refused the sorcerer's advances, so she cursed her and her True Love to live life apart. She would life as an owl during the daytime and he would live life as a wolf during the night. They would never both be human at the same time until there was a night within a day. The only thing that would break the curse was True Love's Kiss but neither of them were human for long enough. They would spend their days and nights alone but at each sunset and sunrise, they would find each other, just to catch a glimpse. Just for a second before their owl or wolf eyes returned. Every day, twice a day, but it was worth it. It was worth the wait, every time. Then, finally, the answer to their prayers arrived - a solar eclipse. The sorcerer tried to keep them apart but they found their way to each other. And for the last minute of the eclipse, they were together long enough to break the curse. And, supposedly, they lived happily ever after.

We sing song of our midnight glamour
Our eyes illuminate in high and low"
I set the fire on the black hole's gates
To keep us holding on until the day light breaks
We are the stealer of the stars tonight

The moral of the story is that Love persists, no matter what obstacles are thrown in the way. One must have Faith to reach their Happily Every After. What would have happened if the Owl and the Wolf chose to stop trying to find each other ever sunset and sunrise? Would they have been stuck in this purgatory forever? No one knows, because their love never died and neither did their hope. It wouldn't have been as good a story if the ending was "they each moved on with their lives after accepting that this was how things were going to be until they died." Not as good a story, but it would be understandable. At least they didn't choose a suicide pact - instead, they accepted that they'd have to be alone forever except for a moment each day. It's almost sadder that way, though, in my opinion.

The SIGIT are an Indonesian rock band who was influenced by the artists of the 1970s. Apparently, they do a lot of covers of Led Zeppelin. I can respect that. "Owl and Wolf" is from their last album, "Detourn," which came out in 2013. I didn't know what to expect when I searched out the song but I'm happy with what I found. It's as sweet and soft as the story that it's based on, and listening to it is calming me down somewhat.

"Owl and Wolf" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment