Friday, September 21, 2018

"Onion Grin" by Fable Cry

I think this one would be good for October, too, since it's kind of creepy. The song is about Little Red Riding Hood, but from the point of view of the Big Bad Wolf.  The Wolf is obsessed with Little Red, which is fitting. A literary analysis of Little Red Riding Hood reveals that, at the core of the story, it's a cautionary tale for young girls to be weary of strange men. The Big Bad Wolf represents the prototypical male stranger - hairy, big, maybe a little scary, with an insatiable hunger. I won't spell it out for you, but you know what that insatiable hunger is. And the song is full of those implications. In some retellings of the story, Little Red and her grandmother successfully fight off the wolf. But in others, they aren't saved until a noble Huntsman comes to the rescue. And in still others, no one escapes. This is how the original story by Charles Perrault ends - with Little Red climbing into bed with the Wolf and being consumed. The Big Bad Wolf wins, sometimes.

Fable Cry front man, Zach Ferrin, describes the arc of "Onion Grin" as an example of what unchecked romantic obsession can become. The lyrics follow the thought process of the Big Bad Wolf while he is stalking beautiful Little Red. She's walking alone at twilight when he spies her. He considers eating all the treats inside in her basket of goodies but it's "not enough." He approaches her and strikes up a conversation, slowly gaining her trust, even though she's only known him for a few seconds. As she's telling him everything he needs to get to her grandmother's house, he's devouring her with his eyes. Imagining what she tastes like. Finally, he captures her and she's struggling to escape. But by the end, he's gotten what he's been desiring. Yes, Fable Cry is describing the Wolf eating someone, but it sounds dangerously sensual. He's definitely eating her, but what part? I'll let you decide.

Tell me all your fears, dear, I can guess what they're all about 
I whisper in your ear with an onion grin and a whiskered snout 
The colour that's in your hair is on your lips, it's in the trees 
It's in my heart, it's on my tongue, it's everything I see

Fable Cry describes their music as "scamp rock," which I imagine is in the same family as chap hop. Basically, they take instrumental and lyric inspiration from the Steampunk era and mix it with modern musical styles. I found their sound very similar to Aurelio Voltaire, and if I looked through more of their songs, I imagine some of them would be as dark as Voltaire's work, too. As with "Onion Grin," they draw the inspiration for their songs from mythological and fantastical sources, such as fairy tales. Fable Cry originated in Nashville, so their music tends to have some bluesy influences and sounds, like honky tonk pianos and banjos (I love both of these!). And when they perform, they dress like Victorian Goths...I'm totally okay with this. Every Fable Cry song I've heard sounds tailor-made for Halloween season, so don't be surprised if you hear from them again. Merry Mabon!

"Onion Grin" Video



No comments:

Post a Comment