Friday, September 14, 2018

"Snow White Queen" by Evanescence

Snow White has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. It's a classic and you can't beat a classic. In my head, I sort of identify with Snow White, especially when growing up. When I was younger, my grandmother often said I reminded her of Snow White - I was always a pale little thing with long black hair. Then we moved to Arizona and I tanned up a bit. Now, I have a little Snow White of my own - my little boy has the same dark hair and rosy cheeks as I had as a baby. So beautiful - the fairest little boy in all the land, in my opinion, but I'm biased. Not many people know where Snow White originates but it comes from the Ulster Cycle, an Irish epic. It is the story of Deirdre of the Sorrows. It's only a small part of the epic but it's one of the most tragic...Just a warning, there's a lot Gaelic names in this story, so try to keep up.

Deirdre and Naoise

When Deirdre was born, it was prophesied that she would be a great beauty. As such, King Conchobar hid her away so he could keep her for himself when she was old enough to marry. He secluded her in an isolated cabin in the woodlands outside his castle, to be raised by a wise woman, Leabharcham. The young girl told her caretaker that she would fall in love with a man with the same coloring as a raven in the snow - hair as black as a raven's feathers, skin as white as snow, and cheeks the color of blood. The wise woman, knowing a young man of such qualities, conspired to bring the two together. Leabharcham lured Naoise to the woods, where he met Deirdre, and the two young people fell in love. They lived in the woods together for some time, happy and free.

But King Conchobar eventually found out and was furious. After sending a spy to confirm that Deirdre was still beautiful, his army attacked their home. Naoise and his brothers fought valiantly but ultimately, they all died. Naoise was killed by a spear by the king's most loyal warrior, Eogan mac Durthacht. King Conchobar took Deirdre for his wife but she was cold towards him. As punishment for her coldness, he offered her up to Eogan for sex. Rather than be raped by the man who killed her True Love, she threw herself in front of a chariot and her head was dashed upon the rocks. Fin.

Can't save your life
Though nothing I bleed for
Is more tormenting
I'm losing my mind
And you just stand there
And stare as my world divides

I don't know why True Love has to end in heartbreak, it just does. Even in real life, it does - even if you have a happy life together - because someone has to die first. Anyway, I chose this song because I like Evanescence. This song gets pretty dark (which is how I like 'em) because she's describing being obsessed with her love, this Snow White Queen, who seems to be out of her reach. Obsessive love is a common theme for gothic metal. When you can't get someone out of your head and they're the only thing you can think about. And when you think of something that much, eventually it's going to leak into your subconscious and every single dream you have will include them. That's just how brains work. Seems unhealthy....Maybe Amy Lee should get a hobby to get her mind off this Snow White Queen. Something to distract her - like a new puppy. Overall, the songs on "The Open Door" seem to be about an obsessive kind of love. The content and depth of the lyrics, combined with the incorporation of gothic rock and the use of choral and symphonic elements gives the entire album this amazing, dramatic sound. Really makes you feel the dark and twisty feels. I've probably been spending too much time in that level of vibration. But Samhain approaches, so it's appropriate. It's the time for facing your shadow self and acknowledging that your demons exist. And it's better to do something constructive - write a song/poem/story, make art, dance wildly and with abandon - before the demon's obsession consumes you.

"Snow White Queen" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment