Monday, October 29, 2018

"Haunted" by Diamante

Haunted can mean a lot of things. Most people think of being followed by a ghost but the other meaning is to have or show signs of mental anguish and torment. Given this definition, I wonder how many people feel haunted? Of course, there's always the urban dictionary definition of haunted, which is when someone ghosts you but decide to come back, for whatever reason. I don't know what that's about. Humans are garbage and do garbage things like that to other people. I suppose that's what it's about. That coincides with what I think the meaning of this song is about. It could be about a ghost....but I think it's about the girl you can't have. Or an ex-girlfriend you shouldn't have let go but you did because of your own ego and now she won't take you back. Obviously, that girl is Diamante. For reference, she's fairly pretty and she has blue hair. The video for this song is kind of lame - it's just Diamante rocking out. Big deal. I prefer my music videos with a plot....so this is what I come up with....

Picture a high school boy - your typical "I'm attractive but I'm weird and therefore, the jocks are mean to me" guy that you see in teen movies. What do they call them? Mediocre Protagonist #1? Like Quentin from "The Magicians." Anyway, he's seeing this mysterious girl everywhere - in his dreams, in the mirror, in the hallways at school - just everywhere. He starts freaking out because he can't get her out of his head. Somehow, he ends up at a school dance and - gasp! - the girl is there. They share a dance and a kiss, then she runs off. He follows her....to a cemetery, where he finds her picture on a grave. Boom! He's fallen in love with Resurrection Mary.

Resurrection Mary is a common ghost story, an urban legend that originated in Chicago but variants of the story are claimed by many cities. One night, Mary is spending the night with her boyfriend at a local dance hall. At some point, they start arguing and she decides to walk home. Unfortunately, she gets hit by a car and dies. Her spirit roams the road where she died, where the occasional driver offers her a ride. Supposedly, one of these unsuspecting drivers kisses her, when they arrive at her "house," at which point she flees the car and enters the house, leaving a scarf or a jacket or something. The driver tries to return it the next day, which is when he finds out that he gave a ghost a ride.

I'm in your head
The darkest parts
You won't forget
I'll leave a mark
You can't deny
The voice inside
I'll hold you tight
Never let you go
Never let you go

Hey I'm getting under your skin
You're stuck with me 'til the end
How does it feel to be haunted

I think I've said it before but, if I die young, I plan to haunt people. I'm just spiteful enough to do it, too. Not sure how. I'll probably just make the radio do weird things - like play Panic! at the Disco and My Chemical Romance. And I'd leave the scent of Infusion d'Iris everywhere. And push books off of shelves, so the pages fall open and leave cryptic messages for whoever finds them. That doesn't seem too bad. Not trying to scare people, just trying to let them know I'm there....

Well....

I'm there.

"Haunted" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment