Friday, October 5, 2018

"The Love Letter" by Blaqk Audio

This song was in the trailer for "The Eye." It's a horror movie starring Jessica Alba. I'm pretty sure it's a remake of either a Japanese or Korean horror movie (both countries make fantastically fucked up horror films). Basically, a blind woman gets a cornea transplant and begins seeing ghosts. To find out why, she goes searching for her donor. It sounded like a cool idea but I never got around to seeing it. I'm not a big fan of Alba - she's kind of a shit actor. There's a reason you don't see her in big movies anymore.

"The Love Letter" is a good song to run to if you're doing interval training. You jog during the verses, which are pretty low tempo. Then, during the chorus, you run as fast as you can. The last part of the song, you're just running as fast as possible for as long as possible. I try. I'm more of an endurance runner but when I get up to speed, I can sprint pretty fast. Well, it feels pretty fast to me. My heart and lungs burn quite a bit when I stop, so I must be doing something right. In the past, they would do that to horses. Make them go as fast as possible for as long as possible, until the horse dropped dead. Then, they'd just find another horse. I feel like there's a metaphor for my life in there somewhere.

I'm tired and my brain isn't really in tune for lyrics interpretation, but I think it's about the things left unsaid. It's nice that people can't read your mind because they might not like what they find. But holding in things - emotions, secrets, thoughts - can be dangerous. As the song says, it turns into poison running through your veins and you're left cold as stone. Maybe that's what some people want. Would they even notice, though? One day, you're just a soulless shell but it doesn't matter, because you didn't exist to them anyway. People only see what they want to see.

Once it meant something to me.
I find it rather stunning.
I draped it in cold and clarity.
It's true, I find the look becoming.
Walk right through me, I'm not really there.

My daily tarot readings have been showing that I'm probably holding in my emotions. Weirdly enough, where I am in a lot of my spiritual books center around how important it is to express yourself in order to be the most authentic version of you. But that's just how I am - I play things close to the chest because I know how people are. Being honest with them just gives them ammunition to hurt you - and they will, even if they don't mean to. Then this morning, I got the seven of swords, the potential meanings for which are betrayal and deception. The question is - is someone betraying or deceiving me or am I deceiving/betraying myself? Probably me. That seems to be one of my favorite things to do. Lying to myself, telling myself (and everyone else) everything is "fine" when it isn't. Pretending things aren't there when they are. Kind of like in "The Eye" - the ghosts are there for everyone to see, it's just that most people aren't really looking.

Anyway, I convinced my friend/coworker to add this to his Halloween mix and he really liked it. He liked all my suggestions, actually. I don't know why but he seemed surprised that I had good taste. Probably because I don't share that sort of stuff at work. Or even with people I consider casual friends, apparently. My friend did some research and apparently the singer for Blaqk Audio is also the lead singer for AFI. No wonder I like it. Well, I'm in a dark mood and I feel like "The Love Letter" fits for tonight.

"The Love Letter" Video



No comments:

Post a Comment