Wednesday, October 31, 2018

"O'Death" as sung by Jen Titus

I was saving this song for today. The original song is from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou," but this version makes a sinister song even darker and more beautiful, in a way. This version was used to introduce the Fourth Horseman in "Supernatural," during the Apocalypse/Lucifer story line. In the Bible, he arrives riding on a pale horse and his name is Death. In "Supernatural," they imply Death and God as old friends - so old that neither remembers who came first. This aligns well with a lot of Creation myths. First came Creation, then came Destruction, and out of Destruction comes more Creation, and on and on and on. And so the wheel turns.

Death has been personified in so many ways throughout time. There's the stereotypical Grim Reaper, with his black cloak and scythe, an image meant to be terrifying. Then there's the Angel of Death, a merciful, kind figure meant to guide souls back to Heaven (or Purgatory). Of course, the Angel isn't always kind, like in Exodus when he was sent to take all first born sons. All the images I've seen of this story portray the Angel of Death as a cloud of smoke or vapor, which may not be far from the truth. I've heard historical scientists saying that this particular event happened - some sort of poisonous gas, such as from nearby a volcanic fissure, may have reached towns in Egypt but the only ones affected would've been those sleeping low to the ground. I read somewhere that in Ancient Egypt, sleeping on the ground would've been a place of honor, and therefore reserved for the first born son in wealthier homes. Mind you, this is just a theory and one that presupposes that not everything in the Bible is fiction.

But my favorite personification of Death is like in "Meet Joe Black" or in the TV series "Dead Like Me." Death takes the form of ordinary people, which is not unlike real life. Death could be a child in the street who you swerve to avoid and end up in a ditch. Death could be a doctor that makes the wrong decision....or who makes the right one, but just isn't successful. It could be a vengeful ex-husband or a pregnancy complication or a wrong step. Death is unavoidable and, thus, has no reason to be dramatic or draw attention to itself. In fact, it's probably better if we don't notice death all around us or else nothing would get done. I watch/read "Game of Thrones," which incorporates the diversity of religious beliefs (mostly based on real life with some minor tweaks). My favorite is the Many-Faced God of Braavos. Arya, my favorite character (who actually makes an appearance in the books), becomes a servant of the Many-Faced God because she was drawn to it. Her fencing teacher would say to her, "There is but one God. And what do we say to the God of Death?" Her reply: "Not today."

But what is this that I can't see
With ice cold hands taking hold of me?
When God is gone and the Devil takes hold
Who will have mercy on your soul?

I've never been afraid of getting old but, now more than ever, I'm afraid of dying young. Of not having enough time. To spend with my son, to finish everything I've started, to be with loved ones. Afraid of dying before I've had a chance to live. I used to be sad that I couldn't do certain things while I was young, be with certain people while I was young. Now I feel lucky if I have a chance to anything while I'm here on Earth. I've been thinking seriously about my Bucket List lately - about how I really should write down the things I want to do before my time runs out and then start crossing them off. I know I'm still young and I think I'll always feel young, but I know living is temporary. I was talking to a coworker today and he was telling me that he didn't dress up for Halloween because he feels that -now that he's an adult - he should act like an adult. I replied, "Oh good...so I don't have to worry about that until I'm 60." He laughed, which is good. I don't think anyone's too old to dress up for Halloween....or too old for anything, anymore. That's what all those Inspirational Internet Quotes say, right? It's never too late to be the person you want to be. Well, I agree and I'm trying. Because, as they say in Braavos, valar morghulis - all men must die. That's not just a statement, it's a challenge. Who knows? Maybe I'm an Immortal, like Keanu Reeves. Oh. My. God. I just figured out something. Keanu Reeves is Death....that's why he rides the subway. Boom! Lawyered.


Now that we ended on a somewhat lighter note....Merry Samhain, all!

"O'Death" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment