Sunday, October 21, 2018

"Heart Possession" by Calabrese

Calabrese is a band from Phoenix that specializes in horror punk. Basically, every song they write is perfect for Halloween. I had my pick of songs, so I picked one at random. They have a pretty classic punk sound, though. When you have The Misfits, Black Flag, and the Ramones listed as influence, how could you not? But they're also influenced by early 2000s emo....which is about when I found them. "Heart Possession" is from their album, "Dayglo Necros" which was released in 2012.

Take my hand, feel in your heart
All I demand, your life is marked. 
Vultures perched on burnt out buildings,
The only life I know is changing, 
Forever changing

Here's the story I picture when I hear "Heart Possession." Picture the Big Man on Campus, normal football quarterback who rules the school. Beautiful, blonde, just a tad naive. A new girl walks into school. Pretty, goth, just a tad dangerous. And he doesn't know why, but he's instinctively drawn to her, like a magnet. He asks her out on a date, even though he's being heckled mercilessly by his jock friends. After a wonderful date, she says she has to tell him something. Bam! She reveals she's a vampire! (Don't ask why she can go to school in the day time....just assume she conforms roughly to Twilight rules) Well, it's True Love isn't it? He wants to be a vampire, too. So, against her better judgement, she turns him. Now, they're stuck together forever. More permanent than marriage, because you can't escape someone who turns you into a vampire, no matter how hard you try. Even if you leave them, they're a part of you.

Side rant: I used to watch this show called "Big Wolf on Campus." It was a Canadian series about this quarterback who gets bit by a werewolf at a party. In order to deal with his new life, he befriends the weird goth kid who knows a lot of occult bullshit. They get into shenanigans, mostly because they live in one of those towns that attracts monsters and wizards like the plague. Kind of like Sunnydale from "Buffy" or Greendale from the "Sabrina, the Teenaged Witch" comics. Anyway, it was a fun show but I mostly watched it because I thought the goth kid was cute. Don't get me wrong....the werewolf quarterback was cute, too, but not my type. Apparently I'm attracted to extremely smart but intensely strange people. I'm feeling like a nostalgic nerd tonight, so I hunted down one of the clips to share. Enjoy!

"Heart Possession" Video



Merton J. Dingle Compilation



No comments:

Post a Comment