Wednesday, July 17, 2019

"Where My Heart Will Take Me" by Russell Watson

I'm really fucking tired so I'm going to try to keep this brief. My sleep schedule has been all messed up the past couple of weeks (blame Eclipse Season 😜) so between waking up at like 3am for no reason, crazy vivid dreams, and extra long days at work, I've been exhausted. But...I'm feeling generally pretty chipper lately, hence the super ridiculous song for today. Before I get into that rant, I will reiterate that I engage in shufflemancy fairly often because if the Universe is going to speak to me or send me a sign, I figure it's probably going to be through music. For example, every so often - when I've had a particularly rough day or have been ruminating on the past (against my better judgement) - I will turn on the radio and "Faith" by George Michael will be on. I like to take that as a sign to be grateful and look on the bright side. And, even if it isn't a sign, it's fucking George Michael and no one can be a grumpy face when that song is playing.

It's been a long road
Getting from there to here
It's been a long time
But my time is finally near
And I can feel the change in the wind right now
Nothing's in my way
And they're not gonna hold me down no more
No, they're not gonna hold me down

I've chosen today's song because we've recently started re-watching "Star Trek: Enterprise" because they added it to Netflix. It's The Husband's favorite series. To be honest, it's one of my favorites too. It's certainly the one that was able to hold my interest the best. I like to mock the first couple lines of the theme song when the opening credits start and sometimes, my "punishment" is to listen to the whole title sequence. But, while I wouldn't say it's the best Star Trek credits song, I don't hate it. Yes, it's rather dramatic and it sounds like a 90s ballad even though it was written during the current century, it has a kind of hokey charm that always puts a smile on my face. I have other reasons for watching the show, too. Full disclosure - Commander Trip Tucker is one of my "fictional character" crushes. I don't normally go for blondes but he's obviously handsome, extremely smart (because you have to be if you're the Chief Engineer), funny, friendly, optimistic, a perfect gentleman, and he even has an adorable Southern accent. I'll even forgive him for being from Florida. Naturally, I was shipping T'Pol and Trip from the start, so when that storyline started developing, I remember being super girly and excited while watching the show the first time. I have a tendency to squeal when a romance has been hinted about for several episodes (even seasons) and it finally starts coming together. It doesn't matter who's involved. Trip and T'Pol. Booth and Brennan. Ron and Hermione. Leslie Knope and Ben Wyatt (also on my fictional crush list). It's the same squeal for all of them. I get happy because other people are happy, sometimes overly so. I like to think it's endearing but I'm pretty sure it just makes me look like a spaz. Oh well.

Moving on. In general, I like "Enterprise" most because it showcases the best sides of human nature, the parts we should aim to grow in ourselves and encourage in others. In the episode we watched today, Captain Archer meets a transport ship en route to the same location they are going to (a stellar nursery). His first instinct is to open up a channel of communication and say "Howdy!" And when he becomes aware that the travelers are going to the stellar nursery for religious purposes, he brings them aboard for a cultural exchange and gives them a tour of the ship. While more suspicious minds would say that inviting strangers onto your starship is ill-advised at best (and, of course, shenanigans ensued), there's something special about offering that level of kindness and hospitality when you're aware that you're vulnerable. The Husband joked that this is such a typical American thing to do - the joke is that only an American would walk into a bar full of unfriendly-looking strangers and say "Hi! My name is Dave. What's everybody drinking?" I, personally, really like that about our culture. It's a gift to have the courage to try and strike up a friendship out of thin air and to be that open to accepting others right from the start. I've always felt I was lucky because, as shy and introverted as I am, I never had trouble making friends. But, to be fair, I never turned down the opportunity to make a friend if it was offered. So, given that I did allow myself to be so vulnerable, I suppose the lucky part is that I was blessed with meeting so many people who I would deem "Pure of Heart." I don't know how best to describe what that means other than the dictionary definition - someone who is without malice, treachery, or evil intent, someone who is honest and sincere. I think that's what the main theme throughout "Enterprise" was - trying to identify what being "pure of heart" meant (both within the crew and the new people they encountered) when faced with endless diversity and unfamiliar territory. But that road goes both ways. That's a question to ponder - Am I pure of heart? I think so, but how do you prove it? It's not something where you can pull a sword out of a stone or put on a Sorting hat to show other people that. You just have to embody it as best you can and hope other people can feel it when they meet you. I know that sounds very woo-woo but....I'm also certain that's basically the only way you can tell.

"Where My Heart Will Take Me" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment