Thursday, November 26, 2020

"Bloody Valentine" by Machine Gun Kelly

Happy Thanksgiving! Thought I'd do a short post for the holiday, since it's been a couple days. Another somethin' somethin' that showed up on my YouTube recommendations. Kinda obsessed with this song lately. Really, just obsessed with MGK's work in general. His early works were mostly rap but his latest album, Tickets to My Downfall, takes a turn towards the pop punk genre and "Bloody Valentine" is in that vein. As a 90s kid, I grew up during the second wave of the pop punk resurgence. A fact that becomes more and more obvious as I progress through "Dawson's Creek." Holy shit! I forgot how magnificent and diverse 90s music was. Every episode I watch has at least one or two songs I have to Shazam or look up on google. At some point, I'm going to write an entire thesis paper on how the 90s, more than any other decade in history, has shaped the musical landscape of the new millennium (which I'll call the Age of Aquarius, just for the hell of it).

The simulation just went bad
But you're the best I ever had
Like hand prints in wet cement
She touched me it's permanent

"Bloody Valentine" is the first single on MGK's latest album and was released with the music video in May 2020. Fun fact: Speaking of 90s music, Blink 182 alumnus, Travis Barker, is credited as writer, drummer and producer for the song and also performs on the acoustic version, which is also great. The lyrics are pretty straightforward. Urban Dictionary defines a "bloody valentine" as confessing your true feelings to someone only to be rejected, usually on Valentine's Day. I didn't even know that was a term. The younger generations are so linguistically creative, it's amazing. However, I don't think that accurately describes the situation in the song. Based on the lyrics, it sounds like MGK engaged in a one-night stand with someone he actually liked. Big mistake. Huge. Rumor has it this song is about Megan Fox, who he met on the set of "Midnight in the Switchgrass," a movie they were filming together. The then-married Fox also starred in the video for "Bloody Valentine." Megan Fox separated from her husband May. Shortly after, she and MGK started dating. Almost immediately she started spouting some crazy bullshit about them being destined for each other. And, as of today, she filed for divorce from Brian Austin Green. Their relationship is moving at alarming speed.

I don't do fake love, but I'll take some from you tonight
I know I've got to go but I might just miss the flight
I can't stay forever, let's play pretend
And treat this night like it'll happen again
You'll be my bloody valentine tonight

Anyway, let's talk a little bit about Megan Fox, because I finally got to the seasons in "New Girl" where she was a regular guest star. I both love to look at her and would love to look like her. Which is exactly how they explained to Nick how to know if another guy is attractive - if you wouldn't mind looking like someone, they are attractive. I have mad respect for Fox, because the film industry has not been kind to her. It's easy to paint really beautiful women as cold, callous bitches, but in every interview where they've asked about her experiences, she's handled it with grace and dignity. Industry sexism nearly destroyed her career but she's making a comeback. She looks amazing after having three boys and seems like a really good mom. She's awesome and I hope she's not being sucked in by a narcissist, because that's what it seems like. A bunch of the psychologists I watch recently did videos on how narcissists often use the "you're my soul mate" card to manipulate people to let down their guard and then later, to justify treating them poorly. It's sad, because it preys upon our most pressing, primal desire - to be understood, to be special, to be loved. I'm not saying I don't believe in soul mates. I do. I just don't think the Universe would permanently connect a person to someone who hurts them.

In my head in my head
I'm laying naked with you, yeah
In my head, in my head
I'm ready to die holding your hand

Feeling pretty good lately. I made The Husband pot roast for Thanksgiving dinner and it turned out well. My doctor gave me the all clear to start running and I'm happy to say I can still jog at a moderate pace for 20 minutes, even after a 6-month break. "Bloody Valentine," being pop punk, makes an excellent running song. And I'm super excited to return to work soon, as is my boss. Insomnia has made it difficult to return to my normal schedule but hopefully that will get better once I start working again. The video features Megan Fox dancing half-naked around an empty house - Enjoy!

"Bloody Valentine" Video


No comments:

Post a Comment