Tuesday, December 11, 2018

"Hold On Forever" by Rob Thomas

This gem popped up in my Spotify Discover mix somewhere near the end of summer and I've been hearing it a lot when I'm out and about. I guess it's a favorite to play in stores, which makes sense because it sounds so chipper and makes you feel happy. At least, it makes me feel happy. And hopeful, which is when I'm at my best. Hopeless Jess is the absolute worst. True story. Anyway, apparently "Hold On Forever" was released in September....three years ago!! It came out in 2015 and I'm just now hearing it. I'm so behind. Oh well...what else is new?

As you might have guessed, I like to listen to this song when I need someone (*cough*Rob Thomas*cough*) to tell me to cheer up. Because sometimes you need someone to make you smile in spite of yourself. To get you out of your head, just for a bit. So I wonder how Spotify's algorithm figured out I'd like this song? It was probably something like, "Hey! This chick likes Matchbox 20 and dancing alone in her room (or in the driveway, after a run....which resulted in some awkward stares from the people across the street) - this song is perfect for her!" Yep - Matchbox 20 and dancing like an idiot in public - I'm basically a 20-year-old frat boy....albeit in a cuter, tinier version. I was lucky enough to see Matchbox 20 when I was in high school, at the height of their popularity. That was a really good concert - the openers were Sugar Ray and the All-American Rejects. I brought my best friend at the time, whom I'll call Rae. One weird memory I took from that night - Rae remarked that I had "rhythm" and asked why I didn't dance more. Well, in high school, it was because I didn't want to look stupid. But now - as I've said before - I'm all out of fucks to give, so I do dance more at home. I would like to go out dancing or dance at events I'm invited to, like weddings and parties. Unfortunately, The Husband doesn't like to dance so I'm SOL. The other day, I was lamenting to my team that I would like to go line dancing, but it was unlikely to happen. But I'd like to, one of these days....I like line dancing and I fucking live in Texas, so why not? I'll have to find a friend who will indulge my inner cowgirl and doesn't mind being dragged along on half-baked adventures.

Lay down all your troubles end to end
They could reach up to the stars
So many roads, you don't know where you've been
But you still know who you are
And if I seem preoccupied, I'm wondering what to do
So here's my recipe for you

First thing, we make you feel better
Next stop, we pull it all together
I'll keep you warm like a sweater
Take my hand, hold on forever
Just fall apart if you need to
I'm here and I won't leave you now
Don't look down
Hold on forever

The official video for "Hold On Forever" follows a beautiful young couple on an adventure in New York City. The song was inspired by Rob Thomas wife, Marisol Maldonado, and the couple in the video was cast to look like them. Sort of. It's a white guy with a Hispanic girlfriend - I suppose that works. Anyway, for the last couple decades, Maldonado's been fighting Lyme disease. In fact, around the time "Hold On Forever" was released, she went into surgery to have a lesion removed from her brain. As you can guess, this can take a toll on a person and their family. It's a one day at a time sort of thing, so you have to hold onto the happy moments.

"Hold On Forever"

No comments:

Post a Comment