Sunday, February 10, 2019

"Hey Leonardo (She Likes Me For Me)" by Blessid Union of Souls

I spent the better part of this weekend completely devastated because I made the mistake of going to a "Moulin Rouge" movie party on Friday. How can that be my favorite movie if it fucks me up that badly every time I see it? I was very close to ugly crying in the theater, so much so that I couldn't sing at times...and I fucking love singing! Even today, thinking about it, my heart is so heavy. Thus, I need something happy to lift my spirits. Something with extremely liberal use of the harmonica. Double points if it hearkens back to my childhood and has numerous instantly dated pop culture references. Ah, Blessid Union of Souls! You never let me down....

This song is great because it makes me think of that sort of love we all dream about. Where we've found someone who likes us, even the not-so-great parts, and doesn't expect us to be something we're not. They just like hanging out with us in all our strange glory. It doesn't matter if we dress weird or study the occult or have a penchant for using small - but difficult - words. Yes....I may have been describing myself. I'm a handful. I know I'm a handful. I have a tendency to talk like a valley girl but occasionally throw in a "y'all" or some French words to throw people off. My idea of dressing up has just a tad too much cleavage to be considered classy and I own way too much Harry Potter-themed apparel. I'm "smart" but have admittedly some out there beliefs, but - to be fair - I believe in those things because (after 30 years of searching) I know in my heart they're true (and that's good enough for me). And I annoy myself sometimes because I sound like such a know-it-all, even in my own head. But I'm not trying to be! I just read a lot about everything, so I have something to say about everything. And I know I'm weird. I've always been weird. I was the creepy kid who liked bats, watched obscure foreign films, and used the emerging Internet to look up Wicca correspondence tables and Sailor Moon gifs. I still am that creepy kid....only now, I just don't have the amount of fucks needed to keep that stuff hidden. If that's not what floats someone's boat, I can't do anything about that. I can't be someone I'm not. Just have to move along as best I can.

Gazing at the ceiling as we entertain our feelings in the dark
The things that we're afraid of 
are gonna show us what we're made of in the end
She likes me for me
Not because I sing like Pavarotti
Or because I'm such a hottie
I like her for her
Not because she's phat like Cindy Crawford
She has got so much to offer
Why does she waste all her time with me?
There must be something there that I don't see
I don't see

In the song, Blessid Union of Soul laments the transactional nature of our relationships, even today. Sure, I love you....as long as you stay pretty or keep making money or do me this favor. I wonder, sometimes, if it's even possible to love someone without expectations. Without conditions. For example, let's consider the relationship between Christian and Satine in "Moulin Rouge." He started out the relationship knowing she was a courtesan (which is just a fancy name for whore) but still expected her to be faithful - or at least, wanted her to be faithful, even when it threatened to destroy her entire world. But Satine, she did love him faithfully. So much so, that she was going to sacrifice her own happiness just so he could live. Satine gathered all her inner strength, whatever she had left, to convince him she didn't love him so he'd stay away, stay safe. And do you know what that stupid asshole did? He fucking called her bluff in the middle of a live performance! And she's the one who asks for forgiveness in the end. Typical. Anyway, I'm not sure that's realistic. Could anyone love someone knowing there's no future in it? Sounds like a recipe for heartbreak.

Went on a tangent for a bit. That stupid movie is still working its devilry on me. Anyway, this song elicits many questions. I'm curious how this guy knows that she likes him for him. She could just be really good at pretending she doesn't notice he's rich and handsome. Also, he keeps saying "I'm so glad I found her once again." Where'd she go? Did he leave her behind when he decided to become famous? Sounds like he's kind of a dick, if that's the case. You'll notice, he spends most of the song bragging about himself. And he sounds like he's pretty awesome, but feels a tremendous amount of unworthiness. Clearly, he doesn't think a smart, beautiful, funny, kind, amazing girl would be interested in him unless she was getting something out of it, aside from being in a relationship with him. That's unfortunate. That happens with girls too. I'm thinking of Captain Lance and Ava, from "Legends of Tomorrow." Sara Lance finally gets the girl of her dreams and, out of some misplaced shame, pushes her away, claiming she "deserves" better. I know exactly what Ava was thinking, though - I'm sure she was thinking "it doesn't matter what I deserve, I want you." If you think she deserves better, be better. You'd think that would be the obvious solution....

I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. Anyway, the video is peak 90s. A guy - who looks like a total fucking dork, by the way - heads out to the club to scope out all the girls. Looking for his next True Love. In his head, the ladies love him - but he strikes out once or twice, as is normal. At the end of the video, he runs into the news broadcaster lady he has a crush on (from the beginning of the video). The video quality is pretty shitty - they didn't have HD in the 90s.

"Hey Leonardo" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment