Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ode to the Directorial Works of the Talented Matthew Gray Gubler

Check out that snazzy tie...
Who has two thumbs and is incurably boy-crazy?  This girl!  I would like to take a moment (and a posting) to wax poetic on the virtues of my current celebrity crush, Matthew Gray Gubler.  Now, I realize this a ludicrous waste of time for someone who has short stories to polish and submit, but when you look at that face, can you blame me?

To begin,  I first encountered his acting work, naturally, through my interest in black comedies -- namely "How to be a Serial Killer," which is brilliant if you can see the humor in it.  Not long after that, I got caught up in his performance as Dr. Spencer Reid in "Criminal Minds."  I enjoy the show because, as opposed to some other procedural dramas that focus on the interpretive-side of psychology, the viewer sees the application of behavioral theory in an accurate way -- even if it stretches the truth of FBI bureaucracy a bit.  Some argue that forensic profiling, statistically, has had limited success and can sometimes be horribly off the mark, but I still enjoy learning about it.  Of course, in terms of television shows, I think "Lie to Me" most accurately portrays the benefits and boundaries of applied behavioral science.  But I digress.

Perhaps you didn't realize this, but Matthew Gray Gubler is a director.  He has an actual degree in Film Directing from NYU.  I don't know about you but I think that's awesome.  Now, you may be asking yourself "Hmmm....that's strange....I thought this was a f*cking music blog" so I will concede and say that you are correct, sirs, and there is a connection....Matthew Gray Gubler has directed a music video, in addition to a few episodes of "Criminal Minds."  As tenuous as this connection is, I'm going to say it counts.  It totally counts.  And it wasn't just some random band's music video either....it was for The Killers and it is moderately amusing (okay...at times, it's downright bizarre), as I invite you to view below.


Other than being a director and an actor, he's paid his dues as a model for Marc Jacobs, Tommy Hilfiger, and American Eagle and as the voice actor for Simon in those god-awful "Alvin & the Chipmunks" films.  But that's okay....he's only 30-ish and he has his whole life ahead of him.  Matthew Gray Gubler also sketches occasionally and, if you watch "Criminal Minds" at all, you've seen some of his sketches featured during the show.  His website is incredible, hilarious,--in short, mind-blowing--and you can check out some of his short films and sketches.  Check it out at Gublerland.

1 comment:

  1. lol the puppets look awesome but this is so strange and macabre what with Santa trying to kill the lead singer xD

    ReplyDelete