Friday, September 30, 2011

Sorry I've been A Super Slacker

Hey Music Sluts,
I apologize for the two weeks hiatus I took from posting.  I've been using this time to gather my thoughts, get my sh*t together, and decide what I want to do with my life.  Just a few things you missed, in music and otherwise --
  • REM broke up.  Sad panda.  They were awesome and they will be missed.
  • Vanaprasta played a couple shows in Scottsdale, AZ.  Although I had plans to go see them, Scottsdale is like 3 hours away and I just didn't have the funds to take a 6 hour road trip to see a band, even though I really wanted to.  The good news is, though, that it seems like they're getting a lot of attention, so the future prospect of seeing them play live has become more tangible because, with more fans come more accessible venues, so here's to hoping.
  • A ton of great albums have been released these past two weeks, not least of all was Grouplove's Never Trust a Happy Song.  Blondie, which I love and has been a major influence in the shaping of my musical taste, also released a new album. Definitely check those out if you can.
  • The West Memphis 3 were freed.  I learned about them during an English class and, having researched the history, I'm so happy that they've been released.  If you don't know of the case, you should understand it is one of the greatest miscarriage of justice in recent years and really gives one a reason to reflect on the fairness of the judicial process. 
  • Occupy Wall Street is closing it's second week and is gaining momentum, sparking similar protests in 50 cities in the U.S. and around the world.  I'm really surprised because I honestly thought it was going to fizzle out after a day.  I've been following the protests pretty regularly and I'm curious to see if anything is accomplished by the General Assembly.
  • My career options, as I found out, are not as dire.  Apparently, my sh*tty eyesight was not such a big deal for a certain federal career and I've been informed that if/when I'm hired, I'll be going in as a higher pay grade than usual.  Although I'm happy, I've been conflicted with whether or not I really want to be on that career path so I've been exploring Teach for America.  I'm really excited about TFA and will be putting in an application soon.
  • I've finally submitted a story I wrote -- a story I'm very proud of, btw -- to a major literary journal.  It might take awhile to get a reply, so I'm taking that in stride and trying to remain optimistic.  Meanwhile, I've been working on The Novel and a couple other short stories that have my brain running at all hours of the night.
Those last two were kind of personal and off topic, I know, but just so you know I haven't been shirking my blogging duties just because I'm lazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment