Monday, August 6, 2018

"Meant To Be" by Bebe Rexha featuring Florida Georgia Line

I had something more special planned for today since I can't post for a couple days but it turns out that needs more time to cook. Instead, I'm gonna share a song that's been growing on me all summer. In fact, I think it's this year's Song of Summer, even though it was technically released at the end of 2017. I've been hearing it a lot on the radio this summer, anyway, so that - in my mind - categorizes it as a "summer song." It's also got that chill, sunny vibe going on. That's the best way I can describe it. I also thought the switch to something a little more country would be a nice break from all the punk/rock/indie stuff I've been posting.

It's coded as a love song - the girl is trying to force something but the guy is just like "we don't have to go so fast....lets enjoy the ride." But I think this message can flow into other parts of your life, too. For example, in the video, it's not really about Bebe trying to get with one of the guys from Florida Georgia Line. It's about her trying to make her singing career happen. In it, she's hitchhiking and ends up a waitress somewhere outside Albuquerque - because isn't that where we all end up eventually? During a lull in her shift, she starts fantasizing about being pulled on stage at a local show, which evolves into her touring with the band. Kind of an unrealistic fantasy, if you think about it, but - you know - if it's meant to be. In many things, there comes a point where you've done all you can and you just have to leave the outcome to the Universe (or God/the Gods, depending on what you believe). It takes a leap of faith. (Side note - my card this morning was "The Wanderer," one of the meanings for which is needing to take a leap of faith.) When it gets to this point, all you can do is keep working towards your goals, be the best person you can be, and enjoy life for yourself. Happiness is a journey, not a destination. 

Baby, lay on back and relax, kick your pretty feet up on my dash
No need to go​ nowhere fast, let's enjoy right here where we at
Who knows where this road is supposed to lead
We got nothing but time
As long as you're right here next to me, everything's gonna be alright

Some fashion notes - I am loving the two dresses Bebe wears in this video. I think the black gingham number she wears as a waitress is probably a bit too racy to be an actual uniform. That being said....I need to have it. Same with the red polka dot dress. I'm pretty sure I'd look good in both because they look good on Bebe Rexha and we have a similar body type, for the most part. I've also decided I need a necklace that says "Jess." I know those are old-school and kind of tacky, but Rexha makes it work. Maybe once in awhile, it's okay to wear something like that, if you have the right attitude and don't take it so seriously. Although, Jess isn't as cool a name as Bebe, so it might not look as good. I don't know, I'll have to do some intense googling to find the right necklace.

"Meant to Be" Video



No comments:

Post a Comment