Tuesday, August 21, 2018

"You're My Best Friend" by Queen

Today is my mom's birthday so I decided to do a song that reminds me of her. Now, I could've picked plenty of songs. For example, I could've chosen the song "I Can't Get No (Satisfaction)" by the Rolling Stones - because my mom loves the Stones and she is never satisfied (well...that used to be the case...she's a lot more easy-going now). Or I could've chosen "Mamma Mia" by Abba, because she was a disco bunny back in the late 70s (according to my dad....who also likes Abba and has seen "Saturday Night Fever" way too many times). Or perhaps something by Cher - because my family fucking loves Cher. (Don't Judge Us!!!) But no....I chose a Queen song, because my family also fucking loves Queen. This is my dad's song for my mom. Because she's his best friend....which I find interesting, because I never thought of my mom as someone who is easy to get along with. But if a best friend is someone you want to share your adventures with and the first person you want to tell when you have good news (or bad news), I guess she would be his best friend. I told you - I'm lucky enough to believe in true love because of my parents.

Funny Vee story....When I was about 12, we went to my cousin Brian's first wedding. The Bride's mother had a life partner (because gay marriage wasn't legal yet), which of course confused 10-year-old Vee. My dad explained it that she just wanted to be with her best friend for the rest of her life, like he and mom did. "So that means I can marry my best friend?!" Vee exclaimed. "Yes," my dad told her. "I can't wait to tell Nancy," was what Vee responded. Nancy was her best friend at the time - it was naive and cute and my parents took it as such. Didn't discourage her or tell it was wrong, just said that she could if she wanted.

You're the first one
When things turn out bad
You know I'll never be lonely
You're my only one
And I love the things
I really love the things that you do
Ooh you're my best friend

Most people aren't lucky enough to marry their best friend. Most people just find someone that they don't mind hanging around that much....until they get bored. But my parents don't seem bored and they just had their 32nd anniversary. When I lived at home, they rarely did things separately when my dad came home from work - usually, they just watched TV together. Well...usually, my dad would read some history book while my mom watched "Keeping Up with the Kardashians." After my mom got treatment, things got a lot better and now, they just generally like being around each other. They like to plan evil things together, like telling my sister and I we were going to the Grand Canyon when really we were going to an outlet mall in California. Yes - this really happened and I'm never going to fucking let them forget about it because I haven't seen the Grand Canyon to this day, except for a glimpse when we went over Hoover Dam on the way to Vegas. They also still go do fun stuff together, some of which they were nice enough to let me tag along. They went to go see Elton John (which was A-MAZING!!!!) and they visit Las Vegas all the time (without us). And my dad always lets my mom have a taste of his food when they go out to eat. If that ain't a fucking best friend, I don't know what is.

I don't really have much to say about the song, except it's a good song. But it's Queen, so you already knew that. Happy Tuesday!

"You're My Best Friend" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment