Friday, August 17, 2018

"Mine" by Bazzi

Spotify likes to recommend playlists based on what I add to my playlists and favorite when I'm listening to random stuff. Sometimes, the algorithm gets it really right and I add the entire playlist to my favorites list. Usually, it's a bunch of random crap with a few good things. This song came off a playlist called "Songs Taylor [Swift] Loves," which I think is only half the playlist's name. It should've been "Songs Taylor Loves To Have Sex To," because that was the general vibe of the entire mix. Anyway, I've been hearing "Mine" on the radio a lot and it's been stuck in my head all day.

You have to wonder what to expect when the first lines of the song are some guy saying, in a nutshell, "I'm drunk, I'm just going to tell you how I feel." The feelings in the song are pretty sweet. It sounds like he's singing to his girlfriends or maybe some girl he's hoping will be his girlfriend. Possibly "The One," if you believe that stuff. I maybe...kinda...sorta...sometimes do - us hopeless romantics are really the worst kind of people. Kind of sad and pathetic, mostly because we listen to songs like "Mine" and watch "When Harry Met Sally" and then squeal when they finally fucking get together, after going through such unbelievable bullshit together. But I'm ranting again. Because I'm tired and the filter is dented.

For such a short song, Bazzi packs a lot into those few verses. First of all, the song is called "Mine," and he's telling the girl that she's his. Now, this would be possessive and creepy but I imagine that, when you're that deep in love, you kind of feel like you do belong to someone/someone belongs to you and it's not gross - it's comforting, I guess would be the word. Moving on - it also sounds like this is the first time they're going to have sex and he "doesn't want to waste no time." It also doesn't seem like it's super important if they have sex at all, because he just wants to spend time with her. Even if it's just for one night....so maybe she has a plane to catch in the morning? Or maybe it's one of those "Serendipity" things, where they met in Bloomingdale's while she was on vacation and they're never going to see each other again. There are seriously way to many movies with that particular situation - girl meets boy, girl disappears into the ether, boy spends years searching for her without much to go on but hope, then they meet again in a Circle K. Or vice versa. I've seen way too many of these movies.

You so fuckin' precious when you smile
Hit it from the back and drive you wild
Girl, I lose myself up in those eyes
I just had to let you know you're mine

Hands on your body, I don't wanna waste no time
Feels like forever even if forever's tonight
Just lay with me, waste this night away with me
You're mine, I can't look away, I just gotta say

I do want to call out the one lyric that seems out of place - You on fire, you a star just like Mariah. Mariah Carey hasn't been a star in like 20 years. What is this guy fucking talking about? I'm not sure any girl under the age of 29 would be impressed with a compliment like that. Bazzi, you're gonna have to do better.

The video is trippy. Bazzi is floating in the air in Generic Inner City Backdrop #12 in some parts. The rest is interspersed with clips from science videos showing sperm penetrating eggs (really subtle, dude) and pretty girls trying to look pretty in spite of all the video effects they're using. In all honesty, it's a really crappy video but I guess you can't really do much with only two minutes of song.

"Mine" Video



No comments:

Post a Comment