Wednesday, December 25, 2019

"Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt

I felt I'd be remiss if I didn't feature at least on Christmas song this month. I chose my second favorite, after "All I Want For Christmas is You." "Santa Baby" has two things going for it - it perfectly encapsulates the consumerist culture of the American Holiday Season and it's definitely a song you can strip to. There are many versions of this song but I've chosen the classic version performed by Eartha Kitt, because it's the version I remember fondly from my childhood.

Think of all the fun I've missed
Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed
Next year I could be also good
If you'll check off my Christmas list

In recent years, I've taken to buying myself my own Christmas gifts. I never really buy myself anything during the year so I figure the Holiday season is a reasonable time to splurge. I even wrap them up and put them beneath the tree, so it seems like Santa brought Mama stuff, too. Of course, this tradition has developed after several years of me over-giving at Christmas. When I was a teenager, I got in the habit of telling my parents I didn't want anything for Christmas because I didn't want them wasting money on me. This was a mistake because they still wasted money, it was just on things I didn't want. Meanwhile, I would spend tons of money on super thoughtful gifts for everyone else. I remember one year I went all out and bought everyone l'Occitane hand creams and maple candy from Vermont, in addition to the presents I'd already bought them, which was usually something they had hinted at wanting earlier in the year. This is obviously unsustainable, which is why I keep it simple now. I buy people gift cards and I only ask for gift cards - because people usually like free money. It may be impersonal but most people usually aren't going to be disappointed, as long as you know what stores they like. This works out for my family because we're full of people who are notoriously difficult to buy for. And, no, we do not do homemade presents. If you met my family, you'd instantly understand why.

As for myself, I've got simple - albeit expensive - tastes. I'm very particular and I'm not above giving direct orders to people with "Hey, I like this...buy it for me." Which is why I'm always surprised and a little disappointed when they get it wrong. I like books and witchcraft supplies. The most thoughtful gift the Husband ever got me was "Twilight," which set off three months obsessing over the books with my roommate while I read them. It was thoughtful in that, even though I hadn't ever expressed a desire to read it, he knew it was the sort of shit I like reading and bought it for me. I like clothes from mid-range stores, fancy lingerie, and bohemian crap from World Market. I like delicate, feminine jewelry that has the potential to get lost easily and requires me to take care of it. I like luxury skincare products and expensive perfume from designer brands. And - yes - much like Eartha Kitt, I would like a yacht, a classic car (but not in light blue....gross), and (although I'm ashamed to admit this) a fur coat. However, since Santa does not exist, I'll have to buy this stuff on my own. And, to be honest, I don't mind it. It's one of the rare times of year when I can buy something for myself without feeling too guilty.

That being said, it is nice to be on the receiving end of Christmas once in a while. Maybe next year.

"Santa Baby" Video





No comments:

Post a Comment