Tuesday, December 10, 2019

"Patience" by Guns N' Roses

Whenever I'm feeling frustrated over a situation and I turn on the radio (not Spotify....just your normal FM stations...I'm partial to Jack FM, because they're genuinely random with their music choices), there are three songs that, if they come on, I'm almost certain the Universe is trying to reassure me. Those songs are "Faith" by George Michael, "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, and - obviously - "Patience" by Guns N' Roses. Maybe that's silly. But it's comforting, because at least I know someone is listening.

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missin' you
I'm still alright to smile
Girl, I think about you every day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt you're in my heart now

Said "woman take it slow, and it'll work itself out fine"
All we need is just a little patience
Said "sugar make it slow and we'll come together fine"
All we need is just a little patience (Patience)

I'm an impatient person. Always have been. Sometimes, I'm pretty sure my whole life has been a lesson in patience. Making peace with the waiting is the most difficult part. I've always been the type to charge forward because, whatever it is I want, I want it now. So the most frustrating thing for me is when I've done everything I'm supposed to do and there's nothing left except the waiting. I've gotten better over the years. It's why I tend to overload myself with tasks - because it's something to do while I'm waiting. It makes time go faster. Even though, to be honest, that's the last thing I want nowadays. I wish I had more time. I wish I could slow it down at will at certain moments. This year has gone by the fastest I've ever seen, even during the slow parts of the year.

Needless to say, settling into a daily meditation practice has been a trial. I've been fairly consistent for the last couple of months and have done about 15-20 minutes almost every day. Sometimes I'll catch myself thinking, "Am I done yet? Maybe I'll cut today short." But you can't do that. You just have to release that thought, remember that this is where you are now, and regain your center of focus (I usually use a mantra). The practice has been helpful for dealing with ordinary every day frustrations and waves of emotion that come up unexpectedly. I just gently tell myself it's okay to feel like this for a minute, remind myself that this is just where I am right now and it's temporary, and then I just let it be. Because - as I'm realizing - that's pretty much all I can do most of the time. Just breathe and continue on to the next task you have to do.

"Patience" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment