Tuesday, July 3, 2018

"Fancy" by Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX

The Husband hates this song, but I love it so I play it every day. In fact, he's probably super annoyed that I'm blasting it on repeat now. Whatever...he has noise cancelling headphones. The toddler didn't like it either at first but now I got him dancing all crazy with his Mama whenever it's playing. Also, Iggy Azalea is a blonde, so he's into it. I don't know about that kid...Charli XCX is more my type. Trust me, he'll learn eventually that brunettes are the best.

Let's talk about this song. Iggy is basically saying, "I know I'm a little bit extra but that's what makes me awesome." As someone who is also "fancy," I'm really feeling that today. I got a lot done even though, technically, it was kind of a down day at my work due to the holiday. I was seriously killing it - I was banging out tasks I've been putting off, my cyber discussion game was on point, and I felt super charismatic which meant I was talking to everyone and just generally enjoying life. I was being my best self, not giving a fuck what anybody thought because I was doing my own thing, and it felt great. Now, I just gotta keep that mindset everyday. Film star, yeah I'm deluxe. Classic, expensive, you don't get to touch. Ow! Those are my favorite lyrics in the song, if you couldn't tell.

The video is a parody of "Clueless," which is a just a 90s re-make of the timeless Jane Austen novel, "Emma." I went through a phase where Jane Austen was my favorite author - and that made me so much better than everyone else. As the only 11-year-old who read - not just one - but TWO Jane Austen novels, I felt like that made me a badass. "Oh, you haven't read 'Pride & Prejudice'? Get away from me, peasant." Just kidding! But seriously, it was worth 25 points in the Accelerated Reader program, which meant I met my quota for the year in one go. As any true millennial girl, I love the movie "Clueless." Who didn't fall in love with Paul Rudd in that film? If you didn't, you have no taste - I'm still kind of crushing on him and he's like 50 now. Although, he's considerably more scruffy these days and that certainly helps.

Aside from being a brilliant adaptation of a classic story, "Clueless" showcased the pinnacle of 90s fashion, which the "Fancy" video expertly mirrors. OH! The yellow plaid suit - true story, I had a friend in high school who actually had this outfit and wore it pretty regularly. In fact, she kind of looked like Iggy Azalea, to be honest. Coincidence?! Yeah...probably....The crop tops - I have a lot of these still and don't wear them near enough....too self-conscious but the wanna-obliques are coming along so maybe I'll have a little bit of courage later this summer. And who can forget wearing knee-high socks with everything, including gym clothes. I'm not sure this trend should be brought back or if I'm the right person to do it. Maybe for Halloween. Video below.

"Fancy" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment