Friday, July 27, 2018

"The Killing Moon" by Echo and the Bunnymen

A couple of weeks ago, I got my hair cut at this awesome salon. It was more alternative than your standard Super Cuts. I usually get my hair cut at Aveda, because my older sister's family owns a few of their salons but I thought I'd try this one out on a friend's suggestion. Was not disappointed. Aside from the great haircut and awesome stylist - who talked to me the whole time (which is rare) and gave me a hug when I left - I was really digging their music. A lot of it was old school punk and dark wave, with some newer alternative/indie stuff for good measure. Basically, the playlist was something I probably would've made myself. And I'm okay with that. Better than listening to Top 40 while someone's chopping off all my hair.

Anyway, one of the songs that came on that caught my attention was "The Killing Moon" by Echo and the Bunnymen. I love it because it's creepy and yet wistful at the same time. I think it's Ian McCulloch's voice - it's sad and soulful. Especially on this song. The lyrics are a little repetitive but you kind of get lost in the Spanish guitar riff and it's alright. Peaceful, like being overtaken by waves. Like "Iris." Sometimes simple is all you need.

The song meaning discussion boards say the song is about death, and it is....sort of. The song is more about Fate versus Free Will. How much are we really in control? Are we in control of any of it? I don't know sometimes. I get this feeling that I'm in the right place at the right time. That things are happening because that's how they're supposed to happen. And then I'm almost sure I affected the outcome of events by something I did, by some decision I made. I've been ruminating on this lately. I've also been trying to work on letting go and not worrying about what happens, as long as I do what I need to. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Que sera sera and all that jazz. It's hard but I'm getting better at it. I've been reading a lot about the concept of surrender. That the key is to not be afraid, that it doesn't mean you don't want what you want anymore, but having faith you'll be okay if life doesn't turn out exactly the way you want it. I'm getting better, but I'm still struggling with it and some days are better than others. Some hours, some minutes are better than others.

Shit. I didn't realize this was going to be another one of those damn philosophical posts. Y'all thought this was just another love song, some guy pining after a girl he can't have. Nope! The truth is we're all going to die and there's nothing we can do about it. Just have to enjoy the ride while it lasts. I think I speak for everyone here when I say - fuck you, Ian McCulloch....I prefer anger instead of melancholy with my New Wave Punk music.

In starlit nights I saw you 
So cruelly you kissed me 
Your lips a magic world 
Your sky all hung with jewels 
The killing moon 
Will come too soon

Anyway, I hope you had a chance to step outside and look at the Blood Moon. It was beautiful. Even now, I can see it through my writing room window. I think I'll make a wish on it tonight. Good night, my dears.

"The Killing Moon" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment