Wednesday, July 4, 2018

"American Boys" by Halestorm

Happy Independence Day y'all! And a very happy birthday to Steve Rogers (i.e., Captain America)! It was almost my birthday, too. My mom started having contractions on the way to the fireworks in California but it turned out to be a false alarm. Speaking of American Boys, Chris Evans ain't too shabby. In fact, pretty much all the Marvel men are attractive....

As you may have figured out, I'm terminally boy crazy. Judging by this song, I think Lzzy Hale shares my affliction. But she does have a point. American boys do have that something about them. Don't get me wrong - I love me an Irish brogue, passionate Italian men, and the cool confidence of the average French dude. But I'd take a small town boy with a Texas twang any day, hands down. Unfortunately, a lot of these types are very conservative, which means they probably wouldn't touch me with a 10-foot-pole....well, maybe they would touch me, but they certainly wouldn't want to talk to me. I also tend to gravitate towards the metalheads and punks, who seem more able to keep up with my madness. Bonus points if they wear leather jackets - looking effortlessly cool is such a lost art....

One of my favorite memories in college was going to the football games with one particular friend. She was super conservative (she had several Ann Coulter books) but we bonded over our love of horror movies and boys, so we didn't talk politics all that much. I was also able to stay reasonably neutral and cool-headed when politics did come up back then so we became pretty close over the summer we were working together. Anyway, we were both boy crazy so we'd go to the games and just point out all the hot guys. We didn't even watch the games most of the time, only the football players. Eventually, we came to the conclusion that boy watching should be an Olympic sport - a team sport, where one person is the spotter (which was usually me) and one is the verifier (usually her). I know - so terrible, objectifying these poor young men but guys do it all the time, so I don't feel too bad. We never rated them (because that's mean), just acknowledged that they were attractive and then moved on. 

I can't really do this nowadays, at least not outside of my head. Mostly because my friends are usually coworkers and a large proportion of them are men. I don't want to hurt their feelings. I have a really bad habit of doing that. I remember shopping with a friend once at a video store and I was pointing out all the celebrities I thought were hot. Yeah, he told me he felt like crap afterward - even though I wasn't comparing him to any of them - so I learned my lesson. Boys have body hangups, too. Especially American boys. Yeah, I know this rant had nothing to do with Independence Day. There's a reason for that - I'd rather not get controversial when everyone's enjoying their day off. I'll save my political rants for another day. Happy July 4th!

"American Boys" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment