Thursday, July 12, 2018

"Problem" by Natalia Kills

My little sister has good taste in music sometimes. Shhh....don't tell her I said that. She'll get a big head. But, I will admit that whenever we get together, I look through her playlist and steal the good shit - and there's usually a lot of it. True, she goes through these periods where she's obsessed with one particular band, so you'll run into deep pockets of The Beatles or The Rolling Stones (not that there's a problem with either of those), but overall, I'll find a few gems I've never heard before. Yes, my little sister is a musical influence to me. At least she doesn't like Dave Matthews Band, like my older sister (we don't speak of this....she knows she should be ashamed).

This particular song by Natalia Kills was something Vee shared on her Facebook page - which was probably not a good idea, since this is one of the dirtiest songs I've ever heard (if the grandparents knew how to use YouTube, they'd be shocked....shocked I tell ya). It's one of the reasons I like it. It's also a really good song to run to - a good beat, high energy, something to focus on while hitting the pavement. Scandalous club music is usually good running music.

So let's talk about why it's so dirty....she's basically telling some guy that she wants to fuck him. And how, in explicit detail. Pretty straightforward. But apparently she's a troublemaker and maybe this poor kid....isn't? I dunno - I'm a sucker for movies where the nerd somehow gets mixed up with the resident "bad girl." It's not as interesting when the roles are reversed, because that's somehow expected. Not that I would know - I've always played up the quiet, good girl routine. I don't think I'm a problem - well, maybe for some people. I dated a nice guy once - he said I was distracting him from doing his homework. And that's why it was only the one time.

Favorite verse:

I got your name
Hanging from my chain…
Don’t you wanna claim
My body like a vandal?
You got the cure
Underneath your shirt…
Don’t you wanna save this
Dirty little damsel?
Got my mink coat falling on the
Motel floor… you’re on the bed
Wolf whistling louder louder
Your lips smudging all my
Make up… kicking both my heels off
Come and pin me down

Anyway, the video has sort of this Bonnie & Clyde situation going on, only in reverse (as far as I can tell). It's as sexual as you would think it would be, considering the lyrics - phone sex in a public phone booth is involved. I thought that was an odd choice and I suspect that's probably why she gets arrested at the end. And she's walking around in underwear and fishnets. Public indecency. Although, it looks like the video was filmed in Atlantic City, so I don't know why they care. That place is already a shithole, a few half naked girls might make it a bit classier....

"Problem" Video

No comments:

Post a Comment