Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Fall of Borders

In an article posted by one of NPRs affiliated blogs, it is suggested that, with the end of the book-selling giant will come a blow to the sales of classical music.  Borders, in spite of it's erratic purchasing behavior, was still a major player in the distribution of classical music to the masses.  As a compulsive bibliophile, I had my own bout of sadness that Borders was closing for many reasons but, after reading this, I'm plunged into new depths of depression about the liquidation of the bookseller's assets.  My dad and I were those people browsing through the classical music bins for good finds but as I see the CD sections of other stores shrinking to nil, I do wonder how the sale of classical music will be affected.  When I download off iTunes, I'm usually looking for new music--stuff I hear on the radio or that my friends are recommending.  I know other people my age are doing the same thing.  It's something to consider for the future -- whether or not we'll only be able to hear Mozart and Bach in a museum.  I'm not sure I want that for my children.
Image by Mandel Ngan/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment