Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Review: Young Von Prettylips

Young Von Prettylips
By Young Buffalo

Impression:  This short album from Young Buffalo opens up with "Only We Can Keep You From Harm" which, in the beginning, reminds me of Native American trible chants, like from a very serious spiritual ceremony.  These rhythmic vocals continue throughout other songs, each one developing into a faster tempo.  The Spinner short introduction describes the album as mixing power punk with indie rock, but I hear the power punk side the loudest during "Full Metal Whacket," which sounds slightly more chaotic as the track moves on, reaching a crescendo before returning to the chipper melody from the first few bars.  At the beginning of "Catapilah," I detect a hint of rockabilly in the guitar which is promptly drowned out by a clattering of cymbals and---my oh my -- a tambourine, if my ears serve me correctly.  The album ends with the somber "Bury Me," bringing it full circle.  On the singer -- in my opinion, he hearkens back to Second Wave bands in the 80s, if/when they did more acoustic stuff.  I'm cool with that....

If I had money, I would:  I'd probably buy it.  It's a short album, so I doubt it costs more than $4 on iTunes or Amazon.  But, since I don't have money, I'll be honest -- it's not at the top of my (exceedingly long) list.  However, it's not at the bottom either.  I'd say in the upper third of my list of songs/albums I need to download/acquire.

How the artist describes their sound:  Primitive indie rock that yearns for a simpler time but is gripped by obsession....that's my not-so-accurate summation based on the ramblings from their last.fm page.  I told you I heard tribal chanting!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment