Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Song 'O' the Day

1977
by Ana Tijoux


Today's song du jour comes from French-Chilean singer Ana Tijoux.  I picked it up on iTunes when it was the Free Song of the Week.  I decided to give it a try, even though it was in a language I don't know.  Ana Tijoux actually began rhyming (i.e. rapping) in French and then moved on to Spanish.  Ironically, if this song had been in French, I might've been able to follow along somewhat.  No such luck.  I don't know Spanish (and that's my bad considering I'm a half-Mexican who chose to study French--I know....such a traitor) so, even though I have imagined that she's rapping about the social injustice in Latin America, for all I know she could be talking about pullin' a train in the Amazon or slaying anacondas.  I just don't know.  I can say that I like it though, especially because -- like all good rap -- the words flow like poetry and you don't have to know the language to hear that.

Quick Note:  Personally, I think she looks a lot like a less girly version of Kim Kardashian on the cover of 1977....Is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment