Friday, July 15, 2011

Oh, Season Opera Tickets, How you elude me....

One thing I want to make manifest in my life -- when I get a stable source of income, that is (which will hopefully be soon ::fingers crossed::) -- is to have season opera tickets.  They don't even have to be good seats....I just want to be in the auditorium!  True, perhaps it's a little old-fashioned and maybe even odd for a 20-something to love opera and actively want season tickets but....f*ck that....I love it and it would make me ultra happy. 

This year has a good line-up, too.  Not as good as last year's (which I will always regret not having tickets for) but still pretty solid.  The 2011-2012 Tucson Opera Season is as follows:
  • Cavalleria Rusticana/Pagliacci - Oct 1-2 - A double-bill!  A tenor from the Met is even playing the title role in Pagliacci, which is exciting because the original players never come to Arizona.  Out of all the shows in the line-up, I would like to see this one most.
  • Faust - Nov 11-13 - I've seen Faust before but it's such a brilliant story and such an influence in modern horror (another love of mine) that I wouldn't mind seeing it again.  My best friend even named one of her birds Mephistopheles aka Phil for short. 
  • Madama Butterfly - Jan 27-29 - I've seen this one before as well.  I wasn't too crazy about it, so, personally, once is enough.  Of course, the actor playing Pinkerton is reasonably attractive....I could be swayed to see it again under those circumstances....
  • Aida - Mar 3-4 - I've heard a lot of good things about Aida.  It takes place in Egypt, which opens the door for some fantastic sets and I'm a sucker for anything involving Egyptian culture.  Also, if you want to pay $100 extra, you can even play a walk-on character during the show!  Seriously!--They'll fit you out like an Egyptian soldier or an Ethiopian captive and toss you onstage.  Sign me up!  I'm glorious to re-live my glorious acting days!
  • Orfeo Ed Euridice -Apr 13-15 - The tragic tale of Orpheus and Eurydice is one of my favorite greek myths.  So much so that I've contemplated writing a screenplay for it (which will be accomplished one day.)  And this is the first time it's being featured by the Arizona Opera!  It almost makes it a must see feature of the season.  Another point to be made is that this particular opera was written by Christoph Willibald Gluck, who was the official court composer appointed by Maria Antoinette.  If you didn't know before, you do now -- J'adore Marie Antoinette!  And, for me, there is something very enticing about seeing a play that was written expressly to be enjoyed by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment