Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Song 'O' the Day

"G-"
By Vanaprasta


This is the second song/artist I said you needed to check out from last week's weekly haul.  This track is heavily reminiscent (at least in my view) of music from the late 60s-early 70s -- definitely has that whole "just jammin' out in the garage" feel.  I vaguely compared it to "I want you (She's so heavy)" from the Beatles Abbey Road Album in that the music -- the guitar, the drums, the bass-- floods over you.  If I went to opium dens (do they still exist? I don't think so), this song would be on the playlist -- somewhere in the middle, after the hallucinations had set in.  And, perhaps it's just me, but I felt something a little jazzy about the vocals -- not Broadway jazzy, Memphis and New Orleans jazzy.  Whatever it was, I liked it.  Anyway, I've checked out their website and am seriously loving the rest of their music (a couple downloadables there, I think), so I am urging you to listen some more.  They are doing a short tour next month, hitting the big spots -- LA, Vegas, Portland, etc. (No AZ, though...not even Pheonix ::tear::).  If you want this song, you can still download it for free at Fuse, which is in the links.

Update:  I was misinformed....Vanaprasta will be making a stop in Pheonix, along with Stone Foxes, sometime in September.  I'll update with venue info when that draws near. 

No comments:

Post a Comment