Friday, July 29, 2011

Song 'O' the Day: Double Dose

Since today is my parent's anniversary, I thought I'd do something special and share their songs.  Both of them are kind of old and one is a little cliched and sappy but, hey, they've made it through 25 years of marriage so I think that deserves a little acknowledgement.

My Best Friend
by Queen


Like my dad, I am a big fan of Queen because it was damn good music.  He told me that this song always reminds him of my mom because she is his best friend and has been for longer than their marriage.  This taught me an important thing about romantic relationships -- you can't love a person unless you like them.  You'd think that would be common sense but I can't stress how many people tell me that they don't like their significant others as human beings, let alone as comrades.  I consider The Boyfriend one of my best friend's and -- had we not become a couple -- I think we still would've been friends, despite the fact that our interests and values are a little like mixing oil and water.  Even though we have a lot of "debates" and heated "discussions", whenever something good happens, he's the first one I want to call.  And whenever something bad happens, he's always there to listen to my angry rants.  Of course, vice versa applies.  It's the same deal with my parents.  Personally, I think it's best that way.

I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
by Aerosmith

I think this is probably a big player in most LDR couple's list of songs, but it has that emotional effect.  My dad was in the military for 21 years and he was away a lot when I was younger.  When this song was released, he'd play it for my mom all the time.  Over the phone, dedications on the radio -- that kind of sappy stuff which, let's face it, I fall all over myself for now.  Especially since I understand the pain of being away from your Significant Other -- The Boyfriend lives 300 miles away and, since money has been tight, we're lucky to see each other in person once every other month.  We talk all the time on the phone but it's still tough.  Add a warzone, multiply the distance by 100, and I might have some idea of how my parents felt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment