Friday, July 15, 2011

Song 'O' The Day

For Our Elegant Caste
By Of Montreal

I l-l-lurve Of Montreal!! --which is why this jaunty tune is the song of the day.  Of Montreal is an indie pop/rock group from -- coincidentally -- Athens, GA and not Montreal.  The name evolved when frontman, Kevin Barnes, ended a relationship with a woman "of Montreal."  The band has actually been around quite awhile -- 1996, to be exact -- but I first heard them about three-ish years ago, when I downloaded a playlist from Nylon.  Honestly, everybody has probably heard a song or two by Of Montreal because they've been used a lot for commercials.  Understandable.  The song is quite upbeat, considering the chorus is "We could do it soft core if you want/But you should know I take it both ways." Interpret that however you wish.  All the lyrics are brilliant in a quirky, prosaic way but--for some reason I cannot describe--I'm drawn to the following:  "I was wrapped in discourse with the magazine reader/the mutual conclusion was I'm not worth know 'cause I'm probably dead/So I'm exposed but no solution." 

No comments:

Post a Comment